Thursday, December 01, 2011

Keeping Our Traditions Alive


Daniel and I have a handful of traditions surrounding Christmas that we have managed to keep up with over the years. It will be fun to teach Jack these traditions and to start new, kid-friendly traditions that we haven't dreamed up yet.


Tradition #1
Whenever Daniel and I decorate our Christmas tree, I always make my Decadent Hot Chocolate. It is crazy good and you can take it up a notch by adding some adult cheer to it {we use Kahlua}.

Recipe as follows:
Decadent Hot Chocolate for Two
2 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup half and half {I sometimes use vanilla flavored and skip the addition of vanilla}
8 tsp sugar
1 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped {you can substitute 3 tbsp cocoa powder}
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla {eliminate if you use flavored cream}
Adult Holiday Cheer of your choice {we like to use Kahlua}

Heat everything in a saucepan, except the vanilla and Kahlua, until chocolates melt and sugar dissolves. Pour half into a blender and mix until foamy. Return to the saucepan, and add vanilla and Kahlua. Stir briefly then serve.

*We like to use large mugs; would probably be enough for 4 smaller mugs.
 
Tradition #2
We collect ornaments whenever we travel. This serves as an opportunity to reminisce about past vacations whenever we trim our tree.


Tradition #3
We like to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation sometime during the holidays. This year we watched it while we put the tree together. We will probably hold off introducing this movie to Jack until he is much older. Instead we will watch classics like A Christmas Story, Home Alone or The Santa Clause {we love all of these movies and they are a bit more age appropriate}.


Tradition #4
I will have to write a separate post about this one. We {meaning I} like to also get a live tree to decorate. This tree will go downstairs in our great room and will be decorated with fresh gingerbread cookies and strings of popcorn. I love all of the smells that come with this tree.


Tradition #5
Last year was the FIRST TIME we skipped this tradition altogether and I have every intention of bringing it back. We have sent out Christmas cards {occasionally New Years cards} with a year-end newsletter that includes a Top Ten list about our year. The Top Ten will be making a comeback this year...

I hope you are enjoying your own traditions as well as savoring these moments with your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...