Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Can you hear me now?

Several years ago, Daniel and I had a phone plan through Cingular. Then the company merged and we ended up with AT&T. Around 3 years ago, AT&T and SunCom decided to do a business deal and swapped a percentage of their customers... we ended up getting swapped... we did not really have a choice.

All along, we have had a really great rate with free nights that started at 7:00 p.m. This has been particularly useful since most of our family and friends are in the Central time zone and we are on Eastern. We have also had free nationwide - a must since we drive so far, so often.


Up until now, SunCom has basically served us well. We have definitely had some irritating moments - mostly to do with the AT&T and SunCom swap, but overall, mostly decent service. One other problem has been the fact that service in our house can be spotty - which can sometimes be a pain since we have not had a land line in several years.


Back in May, I was traveling to visit my family in Arkansas. Angela picked me up in Memphis and AS SOON as we got into Arkansas, I had NO RECEPTION. I am not just talking about in the boondocks, I mean everywhere. I mean in Searcy (the home of Harding University where thousands of students from all 50 states and many countries live and go to school). Of all places, I would expect Searcy to have coverage.


Daniel called SunCom asking, after years of nationwide that covered Searcy, why (all of a sudden) we would no longer have coverage. They did not have a good answer. Really they had no answer. So for us, if SunCom will not cover the places we go (nationwide), then we can no longer continue to use them.


After some discussion, we decided that it was more important to have consistent (true) nationwide coverage as opposed to hanging onto SunCom and the free-after-7:00 nights. So as of Monday we are with Verizon (Angela and Mark - you can now stop bugging me about our outdated phones). It would seem that we have much better coverage in our house and hopefully this weekend's trip to Arkansas will prove they have much better coverage than SunCom... can you hear me now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...