Thursday, April 15, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Book 14

My mom recently recommended You're Not Sick, You're Thirsty by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D., a medical professional from Iran. Dr. B. spent three years as a political prisoner in an Iranian prison where he discovered, that without access to medicine, prisoners responded to water to cure their ailments.

Dr. B's research is interesting. I personally have experienced many of the "symptoms" of dehydration discussed in this book including headaches, allergies, heartburn, lower back pain, joint pain, high cholesterol...

I am not a big proponent of using medication for every little thing that ails me, so the idea of using something as natural {and free} as water, makes a lot of sense.

If one has severe medical problems. I would recommend talking to your doctor, but I know that I don't drink enough water and plan to work on remedying that.

I found the writing of this book to be somewhat remedial - but that may just be me. I also found the book to read like an infomercial or a sales pitch: i.e. If you just follow the water cure, I promise it will solve all of your problems... just listen to what so-and-so has to say about it...

Quotes from the book:
"The significant problems we have cannot be solved at the same level of thinking with which we created them." – Albert Einstein

A new paradigm removes restrictions and barriers and makes future progress within a discipline of thought possible.

A new paradigm is more easily born when there is a specific need and purpose to find a solution. A solution does not establish significance unless a definite need to the ermerging solution is recognized.

Dr. Batman.: Sir Alexander {discoverer of penicillin} is there a special way to become a discoverer of medicine?

Sir Alexander: Need and purpose.

Every 24 hours the body recycles the equivalent of 40,000 glasses of water to maintain its normal physiological functions.

The four most vital steps to better health are balancing water and salt content in the body, exercising the muscle mass of the body to enhance efficiency of the brain, avoiding beverages that dehydrate and make the body more toxic; and eating a balanced diet of proteins and vegetables...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...