Tuesday, April 17, 2012

2012 Book 12: Deedee Divine's Totally Skewed Guide to Life

Getting my weekly reads in is getting hard and harder. As evidenced by the fact that it is mid April and I am just at #12 for the year. Without Kindle, I would barely be reading onebook a month, so I am thankful for that little device. 

 
Deedee Divine's Totally Skewed Guide to Life by Diana Estill was my most recent book. Some compare her to Erma Bombeck. While amusing, I didn't make that connection. I found her experiences hard to relate to, probably because I come from a younger generation (though I find Erma Bombeck highly entertaining and she is from an even older generation).

Anyways, if you have some time to kill and want a light read about the nuances of life, you might want to give this book a go. It's kind of like watching a sitcom with a laugh track. Sure there are funny moments, but definitely not as funny as watching a true comedian. Besides, there are many blogs about day-to-day life that are much funnier to read...
 
Excerpts from the book:
Those who aren’t furious when they enter a supermarket often turn surly before they leave. And let’s face it, there’s nothing more dangerous than driving on streets occupied by disgruntled consumers armed with cantaloupes.
In accordance with the American Disabilities Act for Chronic Clippers, a special lane shall be made available for anyone who has five or more coupons.


Who was I to hold out myself as an expert? That is, on anything other than avoiding housework, taxes, and responsible journalism.
 
If consumers are the support beam of our economy, then shoddy merchandise must be the core foundation. Faulty products are, quite possibly, the top factor contributing to U.S. consumerism...
The laundry room, that last bastion of simplicity, had been mucked up by someone who thought consumers needed more cleaning options.
...when appliances start demanding to be accessorized, innovation has gone way too far.
I didn’t bother to point out that the most energy-saving clothes dryer wasn’t even in his department. It was on the rope aisle, and it sold for less than $20. In my parents’ day, it was called a clothesline.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...