Monday, April 23, 2012

2012 Book 13: The Pig in the Pantry



I have no idea what our plans will be regarding schooling for Jack. That is several years away. But that doesn't mean that I don't think about our options from time to time. I believe that the school system in America is failing, even while there are amazing teachers out there, politics get in the way.

My overall belief in schooling is that parents have much influence in how much their children learn. If it is important to parents, it will become important to their children. What kids learn in schools should be augmented by their parents. Learning should be fostered regardless of where your child "goes" to learn. 

Education is important to Daniel and I, but we also see the value of hands-on, non-book learning as well as sitting in a classroom learning...

My most recent book choice was The Pig in the Pantry: and Other Homeschool Tales by Rose Godfrey. It was an interestingly look into a very large family that has chosen to homeschool and farm. It brings humor into the everyday life and provides an intriguing glimpse into the possibilities when choosing to homeschool.

I have no idea if we will choose to go this route. I do know that we will always encourage all types of learning styles with Jack and any other children we may have.

Excerpts from the book:
With government money comes government strings.
...institutionalized, mass-market education cannot meet the unique needs of each child. 

"...mother-child relationship is paradoxical and, in a sense, tragic. It requires the most intense love on the mother’s side, yet this very love must help the child grow away from the mother, and to become fully independent." – Erich Fromm

"...never let my schooling interfere with my education.” – Mark Twain 

I like to use cooking as a sneaky way to teach math. Teaching measurement and fractions just seems easier when there is a cookie at the end of the lesson.

We hope to expose our children to a variety of physical activities, and we hope to cultivate in them a love of fitness. We can’t inspire them if we are sitting on the couch ourselves. If nothing else, my efforts should teach them about persistence. And I keep moving now, slowly, with joints creaking and muscles screaming. I keep after my goal. I run now because my children are watching.
Kids learn things when they want to know the answers. 


...socialization with all age groups reduces the peer pressure and the crushing need for conformity so many children feel. Expecting a child to benefit from social skills modeled only by children is setting them up for failure.
The family dinner that used to be a part of American society has largely fallen by the wayside in favor of careers, activities and screen time. People strive to save every minute and every penny in order to rush home to heavily-mortgaged houses, heat up microwave dinners and use what was saved to pay for more channels than anyone can watch. The time for a family dinner is spent in front of a computer screen, communicating via social networking sites with people they don’t care enough about to invite over for a real dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...