Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pancakes, Eggs and Bacon in a Muffin Tin

Sunday night I had still not had time to go grocery shopping... I was still decompressing from Toddler Spring Break. We had already ate out (a couple of times that weekend) and Daniel was ready to eat in. So I consulted my fridge and Pinterest and decided to make breakfast for dinner in the form of Pancakes, Eggs and Bacon in a muffin tin. Can I just call it Panegcon?



Daniel isn't a big fan of eggs over easy (and Jack probably doesn't need to eat uncooked yolk, not to mention that would be messy), so I made their eggs scrambled. To achieve this I followed the recipe, but I whisked the eggs individually before pouring them into the muffin tin.



Also, I only had 6 eggs on hand, so I used the rest of the pancake batter to make mini pancakes and I also had a couple extra slices of bacon that I cooked in my leftover muffin well.



These were a big hit for all of us. I got to eat my eggs over easy while the guys enjoyed theirs scrambled. Plus the leftover pancakes have been great for breakfast the last two days. Simple, delicious and fun. Thanks again Pinterest!

Panegcon (or Pancake Eggs and Bacon Cups)
This is the recipe as I made it. 

Ingredients
6 Eggs
8 Slices of Turkey Bacon
1 Batch of Pancakes for Two
Directions
Preheat Oven to 350ºF.
Cook bacon in microwave on high for 1.5 minutes (I did mine in batches of 4).
Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
Pour 1/8 cup of pancake batter into each muffin (this filled up 11 of the 12 tins when I made it).
Bake for 4 minutes or until set.
Increase temperature to 400ºF.
Wrap a piece of the partially cooked bacon around interior side of the muffin well.
For overeasy eggs: crack egg directly into the muffin well.
For scrambled eggs: whisk individual eggs in a bowl before pouring into muffin well.
Season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 10 minutes or until the whites of the eggs are set and the yolks are still runny (if you prefer your eggs completely set cook longer). It seemed like the scrambled eggs actually took a little longer to set, so my eggs weren't as runny as I would have liked.
*You can add more eggs and bacon to finish out all 12 muffin wells, 6 eggs was plenty for our family of 3. It was also nice to have the extra pancakes as leftovers.
Enjoy! 

Random, but I just saw that Pioneer Woman posted a recipe for Eggs in Hashbrown Nests today. I might have to try those next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...