Sunday, April 28, 2013

High Point: Cheaha Mountain


As a part of our first camping trip with Jack, we decided to hit up the highest point in Alabama
in an effort to work toward visiting the highest points in all 50 states {No.5 on my life list}.



Cheaha State Park in the Talledega Forest is home to Cheaha Mountain, the highest point in Alabama at 2,407 ft above sea level.


We actually camped on the ridge that is home to this high point. First thing in the morning, we walked from our campsite, up the hill to the observation tower. Since we were the only people there, we let Sophie come up into the tower with us where we had 360º views of the surrounding forest. This was probably the easiest high point I have been to {to date anyways}.


After we packed up camp, we drove around to see what else was in the park.


We found a short trail to Bald Rock that was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps and offered more great views. Jack continues to be a trooper as we drag him on various hikes.


One of these days he is going to insist on doing the hiking himself instead of being carried.


--- Highest Points I have been to at the time of this post: Mt. Magazine, AR; 
Mt. Elbert, CO; Mt. Mitchel, NC; Mt. Rogers, VA; Clingman's Dome, TN; Mt. Washington, NH, Brasstown Bald, GA; Cheaha Mountain, AL ---

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...