Monday, December 23, 2013

Goodbye House

I don't think that moving will ever be an easy thing. I have moved more times than I care to count and it is still a difficult task. And I'm not talking about the packing and unpacking.

It's emotionally difficult, even if you know it's time to move on.

When we moved from Charlotte, Daniel and I made sure to visit our favorite restaurants one last time. We also did any activities that we could squeeze in that we knew we wouldn't get to do again for some time. It was therapeutic and a good way to say goodbye to the city where we officially became "adults."

This move has been of a different sort. This time we are leaving the house where we became parents and the process has been rushed and crazy. There has been no time to feel like we are "saying goodbye" to this home. We started the goodbye process in June, but that dragged on until we abruptly sold our home over Thanksgiving.

The week of our move (last week), we kicked off the crazy by being in different states. Did I mention it was also our anniversary? Daniel was in a hotel in Chattanooga and was lucky enough to get upgraded to a room with a great view of the Tennessee River. Too bad he was alone. I, on the other hand, was home in Alabama with Jack. We shared Japanese take out. Not exactly romantic.

Tuesday was a flurry of house hunting. We were generally disappointed by the search. We also received a phone call from the realtor selling our home informing us that we had to add a rail to the stairs leading to our front door. As if we didn't have enough on our plates...

I had hoped that we could have a last dinner as a family at our favorite local Mexican restaurant but with everything we had to do, we ate leftovers instead.

To make a long story short, our packers showed up on Wednesday morning. I finished packing the items we will need for the next two months while our belongings are in storage and Daniel worked on the new rail and figured out what he would be responsible for moving aside from the movers.

After the rail was in place, Sophie, Jack and I left town. While the movers packed and loaded our belongings, I hung out at my sister's house. Meanwhile Daniel stayed behind to oversee the move. Hopefully everything will make it to whatever house we end up buying, unscathed.

Daniel and I have barely seen each other in the last couple of weeks. We briefly had time to ride the four wheeler with Jack before Jack and I left. I found myself crying on several occasions during the last day at our house. Leaving is always sad. There is also the emotion of not really feeling like we are experiencing Christmas, basically skipping our anniversary, and not knowing where we will be living in February. 

To say there is a lot on our minds would be an understatement right now. To top it all off I have had the joy of a wisdom tooth making its painful appearance. It's been a rough couple of weeks to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Family Hike at Fiery Gizzard

On Saturday we had originally planned to go on a group hike on the Fiery Gizzard Trail , but it was cancelled at the last minutes. So...