Sunday, July 09, 2017

Books Read #21-23 ⎮ June 2017


Since I have two boys of my own, Boys Adrift by by Dr.

















 
  

The other adult book I read this month was Chasing Slow by Erin Loechner (creator of the Design for Mankind blog). Erin is one of my favorite bloggers and I had heard a lot of great things about her debut book. The book encompasses Erin's personal story and is full of great tidbits about slowing life down intentionally... I am planning to write a separate blog post about intentional slowness with more thoughts about her book, but I wanted to include a blurb in my monthly book wrap-up as well. I think that in order to get the most out of this book you have to read it like a series of blog posts. It felt a bit choppy for me as an actual book, but the content is good (Erin is a great writer, so I'm going to blame the editing).

 
 
I made a deal with Jack that we would watch The Guardians movie after we completed the fourth book in The Guardians series, The Sandman and the War of Dreams, by William Joyce. It turns out that I was wrong on two counts. I thought Jack Frost was going to be introduced in this book (he's not) AND I thought book four was the end (it's not). It turns out the 5th book in the series will be released a year from now, and that one will be about Jack Frost.
 
Anyways, I continue to love this series. I'm not always sure that Jack is actually paying attention to the read alouds, but I recently quizzed him on all of the characters we have met along the way, and he knew all of them and the basic story line. So that's good. We will go ahead and watch the movie since I told Jack we would, but I am looking forward to reading the 5th book next year.


Honorable Mention:
We make it to the library at least once a month and both boys choose books to read. This month Jack chose: Curious George, Oh, the places you'll go!, Good King Wenceslas, Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures: The Intrepid Canadian Expedition (see below), Max's Dragon Shirt, and Dragons Love Tacos (his favorite from this selection of picture books).


We are continuing to make our way through the Flat Stanley series by creator Jeff Brown with Jack. This month he chose Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures: The Intrepid Canadian Expedition (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #4). Unfortunately our local library doesn't have every book in the series and Jack is a bit bummed that we can't read them in the EXACT order.

Isaac's Library picks this month were truck song and Fire Engine No. 9. We read these books over and over to him, and then we read them some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...