We have done a Trucks Go! Party; a Frogs, Snails and Puppy Dog Tails Party; a Curious
This year, Jack told me he wanted a Halloween Party. Eleven days after Halloween, I did not want to throw a Halloween Party. His back up idea was Ninjas. I could work with that.
Since I have two boys, and Jack currently loves Ninjas, and Nerf Guns, I decided to combine the two. So we did. Here is my recipe for a fun kid party.
1) Let you kid help you make the cake. It doesn't have to be pretty.
2) Have a simple craft to keep the kids focused on the party (we could have skipped this, but the kids had fun painting Ninjas).
3) Send the kids on a scavenger hunt. Jack specifically requested a scavenger hunt again this year because he had so much fun last year.
4) Include fun props on the scavenger hunt (but NOT WHISTLES – we did that last year and I learned that whistles are a bad idea). This year's props included colorful glasses and mustaches. I wasn't sure if a bunch of little boys would like the glasses, but they did and they looked AWESOME with their nerdy glasses, mustaches and nerf guns.
5) Have a nerf war at the park. WIN. WIN. WIN. Especially for boys.
6) Have a pinata to hit. I don't think Jack believes it's really a party unless there is a pinata.
7) Sing Happy Birthday and eat cake. And cheetos. Cheetos are always a good idea for kids. And Capri Suns. That's it. No major planning or prepping of the food.
Done. Balloons and streamers are fun, but not necessary (we minimally hung them his year and they were all black to go with the Ninja theme).
It also doesn't hurt if you have a Flag Football game the morning of your birthday and your coach has the team sing Happy Birthday to you after the game!
After the crazy gaggle of friends left, some of our extended family came bearing gifts. When Jack was two he requested an electric toothbrush for his birthday. When he was four he requested his own kayak (we waited until he was five).
This year he requested a harness so that he can get on the roof with Daniel. I'm having a hard time picturing what he will want in future years!
Thank you to all of our friends and family who were able to come celebrate Jack turning SIX with us this year!