Friday, November 17, 2017

Friend Friday: Pioneer Days at Audobon Acres


For our weekly Friend Friday, we met up with a group of friends at Audobon Acres and had the privilege of learning about pioneer life thanks to the Walker Farms Pioneer Days


This was our first visit to this wildlife sanctuary, and unfortunately we didn't get to explore beyond the Pioneer stations. 


The kids had a blast learning about "the old days" and getting to try their hand at things like making corn husk dolls...



cranking apples into fresh apple cider...



and sawing a log.



They also got to churn butter (now Jack knows what my Grandma's butter churn that sits on our front porch is for!). 


And his absolute favorite thing was learning that dry corn was once used as a form of toilet paper – ouch!



Daniel and I did a little tag team for this outing... I had a Physical Therapy appointment scheduled in the middle of the morning, so Daniel met us and took over parental duties while I ran to PT, then I came back and finished out the day with our friends.


There were a ton of schools touring on the day we were there – we all saw several friends. Thankfully as homeschoolers, we were able to stay as long as we wanted and the kids were able to visit every single station.


I am so incredibly thankful for friends to share our learning experiences with!


Check back on Fridays to see what we have been up to!


August: Coolidge Park
September: Creative Discovery MuseumGreenway Farms PicnicChattanooga ZooBig Soddy Gulf
October: Reflection Riding Center (Monday Friend Day) ⎮ Charlotte's Web
November: Creative Discovery Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...