Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Training for the Country Music Half Marathon

As you might recall, back in December, a friend and I managed to train for a 5K in 5 days. Not something I would recommend, but somehow we managed to pull it off.

Now we have our sights set on something bigger: The Country Music Half Marathon at the end of April. This gives us 13 weeks to train. We have been consistently running 3 miles, twice a week, up until last week. Since agreeing to train for the longer distance, we have been attempting to go by this training schedule for novices.

Basically we are already doing the beginner weeks, we just have to start upping our mileage: Weeks 1&2 call for two 3-mile runs, one 4-mile run and two days of cross training {we do kickboxing} and two days of strength/stretching {we do yoga}.

Today was my first 4-mile run and it felt pretty good. I am a slow runner, but am not too worried since that will be the best way for me to complete the entire distance.

I like to keep my mind occupied while I run. Besides listening to music, I have found that watching the news has been great for this – it keeps me abreast of what it going on in the world and I have been learning a lot about stocks! Listening to audio books is also a good way to pass the time.

Hopefully {barring any knee problems or other injuries} we will be running our first half marathon on April 30. 

Have you run a long-distance race? Any advice? Carrie from This Mama Makes Stuff offers some good tips on the things that keep her interested in running.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...