Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Running

When I decided to start running longer distances {specifically training for my first half-marathon} I figured it would be a pretty straight-forward workout. I already owned shoes, socks, workout clothes and an ipod... what more could there be to it?

Well yesterday I ran 5 miles for the first time and I felt really good, however when I got home I realized that I had some pretty bad chafing on my inner thighs. I was not expecting to deal with the chafing and it definitely concerned me. 

This morning after kickboxing, I decided to talk to one of the girls who is a long-distance runner. She was so sweet. She told me to use Bodyglide Anti-Chafing Skin Protectant and she even had an extra in her car that she gave me {I am sooooo using it on tomorrow's run}. 
She also had advice on running with a visor and showed me her Garmin Forerunner that she uses to track her pace and distances.


Hopefully the BodyGlide will save me some pain. I am also considering getting some compression running shorts


When I started running back in December, I struggled to complete 3 miles in 45 minutes. I have managed to get my pace down to consistent 12-minute miles and was able to do my 5 mile run in 60 minutes yesterday. It feels good to push my body.

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous you're up to five miles. I still hate running so I'm struggling. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having someone to run with helps me to stick with it - do you have a running partner?

    ReplyDelete

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...