Thursday, November 01, 2012

2012 Book 25: Anne of Avonlea


Oh how I love Anne of Green Gables and her dreams and her saucy ways. I finally read Anne of Avonlea and am currently reading #3 in the Anne series, Anne of the Island.

Lucy Maud Montgomery's works about Anne are some of my favorite stories of all time. Anne is exactly the type of girl that I can connect with. She has faults and is independent and strong and still believes in romance and that things will turn out how they are supposed to. She is full of whimsy and an imagination that can never be broken, no matter how many scrapes she finds herself in.

On an unrelated note, this is why candy is not kept in our home...
It's breakfast time, a kitkat would be great with breakfast. 
A kitkat would really complement my morning coffee.
It's lunch. Another kitkat {or 3} won't hurt.
Jack's down for a nap, how about another kitkat?
I just did a load of laundry, I deserve a kitkat...
and on and on my day goes.

Hope you had a fun Halloween and aren't eating too many kitkats!


Alright, back to Anne... excerpts from Anne of Avonlea:
The mention of college gave a new direction to Gilbert's thoughts, and they talked for a time of their plans and wishes... gravely, earnestly, hopefully, as youth loves to talk, while the future is yet an untrodden path of wonderful possibilities.

"Everything that's worth having is some trouble." –– Anne

"We should regret our mistakes and learn from them, but never carry them forward into the future with us." -- Mrs. Allen

...for Anne's adventures and misadventures, like those of other people, did not all happen at once, but were sprinkled over the year, with long stretches of harmless, happy days between, filled with work and dreams and laughter and lessons.

"Dreams and make-believes are all very well in the sunshine, but when dark and storm come they fail to satisfy. One wants real things then. At seventeen dreams do satisfy because you think the realities are waiting for you further on..." -- Miss Lavender

"...{a broken heart} is a good deal like a bad tooth... though you won't think that a very romantic simile. It takes spells of aching and gives you a sleepless night now and then, but between times it lets you enjoy life and dreams and echoes and peanut candy as if there were nothing the matter with it... That's the worst... or the best... of real life, Anne. It won't let you be miserable. It keeps on trying to make you comfortable... and succeeding... even you're determined to be unhappy and romantic." -- Miss Lavender

"What I want to get out of college is some knowledge of the best way of living life and doing the most and best with it. I want to learn to understand and help other people and myself." -- Anne

"In this world you've just got to hope for the best and prepare for the worse and take whatever God sends." -- Charlotta the fourth

Perhaps, after all, romance did not come into one's life with pomp and blare, like a gay knight riding down; perhaps it crept to one's side like an old friend through quiet ways; perhaps it revealed itself in seeming prose, until some sudden shaft of illumination flung athwart its pages and betrayed the rhythm and the music; perhaps... perhaps.. love unfolded naturally of a beautiful friendship, as a golden-hearted rose slipping form its sheath.
*Thank you to my mom for lending me her Anne books! I admit that I enjoy my Kindle Fire, but I still enjoy a real, honest-to-goodness book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...