Thursday, April 18, 2013

The "Three Year" Theory


I have this theory that it takes about 2-3 years to feel like you belong somewhere, like you are a part of the community, that you have a place. Being someone who has moved about 12 times in my life, I think I have a pretty good grasp of what it means to try to fit in somewhere new. I even wrote about this back in 2008.


It is hard to believe, but we have been in our current home for 2.5 years and Daniel has been at his current job for a little over 3 years. Looking back, the 3-year time frame has once again held true. 


At first I felt lost and alone. It has been hard to make new friends while living in a small (very small) rural town. But it was also hard to make friends in a huge city like Charlotte, NC. This time around has been different in that we have a baby in our mix, but it still has taken almost 3 years to begin to feel plugged in.


In the past couple of years, we have been blessed to make friends in not one, but two cities: Huntsville, AL and Chattanooga, TN. I am so thankful to be getting to the three year mark and feeling more and more like I am supposed to be here.


Through it all, I am incredibly grateful to have Daniel by my side, because even when I feel alone he has always been there. Our friendship has carried us through the lonelier times.


If my math is correct and it takes me (on average) 2.5 years to feel comfortable in a new place, there have only been a handful of years in my lifetime that I have felt like I actually belong somewhere – which, sadly, rings true for me.

I think it's time that we stay somewhere for a little longer!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...