Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Books I Read in December (#25-27)

If the last two years are any indication, having a kid really does make it harder to find time to read. This is the second year in which I only made it halfway to my goal of reading one book a week. Having said that, I am very thankful I have still been able to average about one book every other week.



Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner was my 25th book to read this year. I actually read this book in 2008 after I saw it mentioned on the reality TV show Beauty and the Geek. I really enjoyed the book the first time (giving it 5 stars on Goodreads) and still found it interesting five years later. I find Levitt's way of thinking to be fascinating. At the time of reading this book, I also happened to be house hunting. I kept wishing that there was a formula I could use to determine what house was best suited to my family and what that house would be worth. If only house hunting was that easy...



The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell was also a repeat book for me. I love the way Gladwell outlines his books and his quirky way of coming to conclusions for every day events. His writing and research has a lot of similarities to that of economist Steven D. Levitt. Three years ago I gave The Tipping Point 5 stars on Goodreads and that rating still holds for me.



Finally, over the course of the past year I have been reading the book, The Story. The congregation we worship with has been following this telling of many of the great Biblical stories through a series of year-long sermons that I have enjoyed immensely. Listening to these weekly sermons while simultaneously reading this book has been a great way to get back into the stories of the Bible that I have grown up knowing. I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...