Skip to main content

Christmas Overview 2014

After ten solid days of visiting with various combinations of our families, the last of our company has left and we are returning to reality. Jack is missing his cousins and I know that the days to come will be an adjustment. I'm so thankful for the time we have been able to spend making memories and continuing our various traditions.

This post will be picture heavy with a brief overview of our visiting. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas, we have certainly had a blessed one!

First up, we spent last Monday night and Tuesday with Daniel's mom and sister. Then Tuesday night we headed over to Daniel's dad's house for dinner. 

Christmas Eve was a quick trip to Nashville to spend with Daniel's mom, sisters and family. Jack got spoiled and ate up all of the attention. This is his last year as the only kid in the Moore family since we are having #2 in April and one of Daniel's cousins is expecting in March.

Christmas morning we had the luxury of sleeping in. I am guessing this is the last year we have this opportunity since Jack is becoming more cognitive of Christmas and presents.

Once Jack was awake, we started our day with our traditional breakfast of sausage pinwheels while we opened stockings.

After breakfast, Jack opened his presents. We are continuing with our tradition of four gifts: something you want, something you need, something to build and something to read.

Jack took his time opening each gift and wanted to assemble and play with each item after it was opened. This meant his four presents took over an hour to open. I savored my coffee while watching Daniel and Jack assemble everything.

Christmas afternoon was lazy while we waited for my brother, Mark, and Daniel's sister, Emily, to arrive. We all went together to a Hibachi Grill for dinner. This has been our tradition over the last five years and we really enjoy it. This year Jack loved the performance of the chef (last year it scared him and made him cry).

After we had our fill, we headed home for my traditional hot chocolate and more visiting. Jack loved all of the extra attention from his aunt and uncle.

Friday my brother helped us clean our house. I love when he comes to visit!

Saturday we waited for the rest of my family to show up. My sister lives in Florida now and our parents live in Arkansas, so we only get together a couple of times of year and I cherish every moment.

Sunday morning the kids were all chomping at the bit to open their gifts. We held them off until everyone was up and moving.

After presents, I spent the morning in the kitchen preparing our Christmas dinner with my mom's help. We got out our china for the meal – I think this is the 4th time in 12 years of marriage that it has been used!

When we were sufficiently full of turkey, we took the opportunity to Skype my mom's family in Canada. They had 38 people gathered for Christmas. Sometimes it is hard to be so far away from everyone, but we were thankful that the 10 of us could be together.

For supper, we enjoyed homemade desserts.

Monday we took the family to the Tennessee Aquarium. The kids were tired, but troopers for the experience. 

I haven't been able to go to my workouts over the last week because of company, but I did walk through the Aquarium twice in the course of a week. 

Monday night we played Cranium. My family got to see a pregnant me jump around like a fool doing charades and our mom surprised us by singing like Elvis! 

After Cranium we introduced the kids to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. The boys were mesmerized.

Tuesday we said goodbye to the cousins and then today my parents and brother left. It has been a fun filled week. I think we will ring in the new year by relaxing at home and going to bed early.

Have a Happy New Year!


Popular posts from this blog

Baby Update: 32 Weeks, What's It Like to Have Polyhydramnios

I have had some questions about how I am feeling so I thought I would share what it has been like for me to experience Polyhydramnios with this pregnancy. If you have missed my previous posts, I have too much amniotic fluid in my uterus which makes my belly really big and it also causes early contractions (and possibly labor) because my body thinks it is further along than it is. For me it meant a hospital stay at almost-30 weeks to stop contractions.

Yesterday I had my follow up with the high-risk OB. Their ultrasound measurements showed the fluid is currently 21cm (which is below the risk). The measurements are a bit of an art project with different people getting different numbers (last week I was still measuring 25cm). The doctor I saw said they will continue to measure and assess me on a weekly basis for now. According to him, once I make it to 34 weeks, they would not try to prevent birth if I went into labor. He also mentioned wanting to induce me at 38 weeks. We shall see... my…

Weekend Project: Sign Art

UPDATE 01/07/16
This project is by far my most viewed post thanks to Pinterest and also this blog post from Make Magazine in 2014. If you are interested in purchasing a PDF of the words from me, you may do so for $20. Contact me at cheree dot moore at gmail dot com to make the purchase. If you make your own sign, I would love to hear about and see your results!

For some time, I have been intrigued by the idea of transferring printed art to wood. Specifically the transfer of words (or typography). Sign art is all over the internet – be it blogs I follow or Pinterest – and I have had an itch to try my hand at it. 

Daniel and I had some scrap wood from pallets from our move to Alabama that was in good shape and I thought that this wood gave me the perfect opportunity to create a (cheap) sign for our living room.

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to go on the sign and then it took even longer to research how I would do the transfer. Actually doing the project took even longer sin…

It's the Final Countdown

Three long years ago, we learned that Daniel was going to be relocated from working in Hollywood, Alabama to two hours north in Spring City, Tennessee. We knew it was coming, but it still turned our world upside down. We spent eight months living out of suitcases, in and out of hotels and vacation homes during the week, until finally settling into our current home on Signal Mountain.
We both felt strongly that we made the right choice in regard to the location of our new home, but we knew it would be a difficult journey – Daniel's new position promised long hours, with a 70-minute commute each way. We were told the job would last about a year, so we hoped and prayed for the best.
To say it's been a hard experience would be an understatement. Jack went through a phase where he didn't believe that Daniel lived at our house. Which was kind of true. For months on end, Daniel worked 6-7 days a week, and sometimes weeks at a time without a day off. The hours were lo…