Friday, February 19, 2016

Isaac is Ten Months Old


Today's effort in futility is brought to you by the number 10. At 10 months old, Isaac has absolutely zero tolerance for his mama's monthly picture taking. Every time I laid him down, it was a race to grab my camera and attempt a photo before he rolled over and sat up, or crawled away.

 
Isaac is our little giggle box who is doing his best to charm the world right now. By and large, I would say he is succeeding. It is hard to go anywhere without someone stopping to talk to him.


He is finally starting to experience a little separation anxiety. I have been waiting for this to happen. When I drop him off (at church, the Y, etc.) he has no problem whatsoever, but as soon as I come back and I am within sight of him, he starts fussing. Like his big brother, at this age, he is a mama's boy for sure.


Isaac is a big guy, but I realized that I am in denial about his actual size. On a whim I recently put him in an 18 month fleece suit and it fit. I pulled out my stored 18 month clothes and the pants are mostly too long (didn't I just pack this stuff up from when Jack was wearing it?!?!), but it looks like we are on the brink of moving up to the next size.

 
Our little guy didn't get so big without a little effort. Isaac loves food. Of any kind. We use this to our advantage to encourage Jack to eat things like onions and cooked bell peppers. Isaac especially loves meat. Example: He shared my burger from Sonic the other night. He will also devour salmon. Let's be honest, he will eat anything we place in front of him.


Isaac used to sleep in our arms during church. I think those days are now over. In recent weeks, he insists on standing in our laps so that he can look around and engage with everyone around us. As one of our friends informed us, "He entertained the three rows behind us throughout service." This milestone is bitter sweet.


When it comes to words, we think he is now actually saying "dada" for Daniel (at least Daniel hopes). Da da da da continues to be his main sound. He has a lot of inflection going on, but not very many different sounds right now (ah and dis being his other main sounds).


When it comes to getting around, Isaac is constantly pulling up, standing, and now cruising! He is mostly interested in walking, but we are trying to still encourage him to crawl.


If we place him in the middle of the room, he is FINALLY starting to make some movement forward. If for no other reason than to get to the couch so that he can pull up and cruise. We finally dropped the crib (we should have done it awhile ago) but he officially stood up in it yesterday.


Isaac really loves to play with toys (especially anything that belongs to his big brother). He has figured out how to bat a ball back and forth to me with his hands. He can also roll a car in this manner. It isn't a really controlled movement, but he definitely gets the concept of back and forth.


Jack and Isaac are developing a sweet relationship. Jack loves to entertain his little brother and Isaac loves to watch Jack and laughs at everything he does. They have a funny version of pillow fighting where Jack stacks all of the couch cushions and pillows around Isaac and then jumps on the pile next to Isaac. They are pretty funny together.


When I try to put Isaac to bed at night, he refuses to nurse if he can hear Jack or Daniel in the other room. He knows he is missing out on something and he really wants to be a part of the fun.


Both of our boys have been incredible blessings to us. I am trying my best to savor the sweet moments with these two.


Some days are harder than others, but I find that if I can just take a moment and be thankful for the good, it immediately erases the harder things. Grace for my family is also grace for me, for the moments I don't get it right.


*As with Jack, I will be posting monthly updates of Isaac on a quilt (inherited from my Grandma), next to a yellow Tonka truck (a toy from Daniel's childhood). Isaac at One Month | Isaac at Two Months | Isaac at Three Months | Isaac at Four Months | Isaac at Five Months | Isaac at Six Months | Isaac at Seven Months | Isaac at Eight Months | Isaac at Nine Months



A Look Back:
Jack at One Month | Jack at Two Months | Jack at Three Months | Jack at Four Months | Jack at Five Months | Jack at Six Months | Jack at Seven Months | Jack at Eight | Jack at Nine Months | Jack at Ten Month
(We used a quilt from Daniel's family for the Jack photos, along with the Tonka truck from Daniel's childhood).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...