Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thursday Things (Things I Have Learned Since Graduating from College)

Things I Have Learned Since Graduating from College

Ten years ago, I graduated from college. The path my life has taken is not one I would have ever expected. Here are a few things that I have learned along the way...

1. You can plan all you want but your life probably isn't going to turn out how you envisioned.

2. Getting a degree an education matters more than your actual field of study. Case in point: I have a B.S. in Fine Art {I don't think I have met anyone with this particular degree} but I have managed to work as a graphic designer and a teacher and now I am a mom who freelances from home.

3. You will spend the majority of your life doing your "job." If you happen to be one of the select few who gets to do what they absolutely love every day, awesome. For the rest of us, figure out what you are passionate about and make sure you spend some of your free time pursuing that passion. This will go a long way towards making your life more fulfilling.

4. Make sure you have someone in your life who will encourage you – your spouse, a close family member or friend. Everyone needs a cheerleader for when the going gets tough.

5. At some point, it's going to get tough. Bad things happen... People will mistreat you... you may lose your job... or have to move... you may experience a divorce in your family... sickness... death... All of these things are a part of life. These experiences will probably be very painful. Accept them and keep moving forward.

6. Don't dwell in the past. Live your life today. Don't hold grudges or be bitter. That kind of attitude is toxic. Along these same lines, recognize when you make mistakes. Don't keep reliving those mistakes. Make a change in yourself and do the best you can to be a better person. Try to treat everyone you meet with love and respect.

7. Figure out your finances. Get out of debt asap. As the Dave Ramsey mantra states: “If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.” 

8. Never stop learning. 

9. Develop a hobby. Volunteer. Learn how to cook or paint or cross stitch. Go take a hike. Start running or train for a triathlon. Develop a love of books or movies. Do something that is just for you. You need at least one thing that is yours alone. Your happiness should not be wrapped up solely in another person or another person's hobbies. Along with this, don't compare yourself to those around you. Blogs, Facebook and Pinterest make it look like everyone else lives amazing lives and has it together. Believe me, they don't.

10. Be thankful every day. There are no guarantees of tomorrow. Don't waste your life wishing you had someone else' life. The grass is always greener where it is watered... get out there and water your own grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...