Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Date Night

Daniel and I really lucked out this week and managed not just one, but two date nights. Saturday Daniel's sister, Emily, came to spend part of the weekend with us. Saturday night she hung out with Jack – they went to the Pumpkin Patch and out for Chinese food, while Daniel and I had a night on the town.


First up, we decided to try the Flying Squirrel (since we couldn't go in with a toddler a couple of weeks ago). We love the architecture of the Flying Squirrel, and were excited to check it out. Unfortunately for us, the main focus of this establishment was drinks and adventurous food in the form of tapas. We don't really drink and Daniel is not an adventurous eater. But this was a bit much, even for me. The menu had items like Sweetbread Po'Boys and Sambal Oelek. Daniel tried duck tacos – which were delicious, while I had scallops on a bed of quinoa and smoked mushrooms. The mushrooms were soaked in sambal oelek that sent me into a coughing fit.

Flying Squirrel on Urbanspoon

While we enjoyed visiting and dreaming about elements of the architecture that we would like to incorporate into a house if we ever built one, we weren't dying to spend more money on interesting tapas. instead I told Daniel I could really use a burger from Five Guys. So, that's what we did.


When we walked out of the Flying Squirrel, we got to see a Tesla and talk to the owner. It was a very cool car. The owner said that one lady kept walking around it looking for the engine (the trunk and hood were both open). She didn't believe that there wasn't one! The car can go from 0-60mph in under 3 seconds, and 0-100mph in 10 seconds. It can also drive 300 miles on one charge. It was a very sweet vehicle.

 
After our expensive appetizer followed by a burger, we went to the movies at the Majestic 12. We saw Lucy which had some interesting ideas. I didn't love how the movie kept flipping back and forth to clips from nature and science, but it did have an intriguing premise.


When the movie was over, we decided to walk down to the riverfront to catch the end of the Riverfront Nights concert. The Chicago-based band Cornmeal was playing – their music is "jamgrass" also known as progressive "newgrass." After watching part of their set, we walked back to our car and happened to run into some friends from when we lived in Hollywood, which was a nice surprise.


It was lovely to go out together. Life has been hectic and we are grateful for the times we can sneak off on our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...