Skip to main content

Traditions: Gingerbread Cookie Ornaments 2014

Continuing with our traditions this year, last Friday Jack and I made Gingerbread Cookie Ornaments to hang on our live tree. This tradition goes back to 2009 when I convinced Daniel that in addition to our fake tree that held the ornaments that are special to us, we should also get a live tree that I could decorate with homemade decorations. 

Over the years I have strung popcorn and cranberries, made red-and-white paper loop garland and I always make homemade gingerbread ornaments. 

I love the smell of the fresh tree and the fresh gingerbread in my home. It is a smell that will always make me feel like it is Christmas.

As I mentioned before, we skipped Christmas decorating last year since we were moving, which means the last time I made these ornaments Jack was still small enough to be strapped to me in the Moby while I baked.

This year was a lot different in that Jack is a precocious 3-year-old that insisted on being involved in the entire ornament-making process. On several occasions he even told me that I was his good helper.

My most exasperating (though funny) conversation with him while making the dough went something like this:
While making gingerbread dough Jack repeatedly asked to lick the beaters. After repeatedly answering "Not yet," I finally said, "Quit asking, you can have them when I'm ready." Jack paused for a moment, looked at me and said, "Are you ready?"
Precocious, I tell you!

After the dough was made it had to chill for 2 hours and Jack didn't really grasp the concept of waiting. I told him we would have to wait until after lunch to roll out the dough. He gave this a thought for a moment and then asked if we could go ahead and eat lunch...

I resorted to a distraction tactic and we managed to wait the full 2 hours before rolling out the dough. Of course he insisted on helping with this as well. Thankfully he let us take turns rolling the dough out which allowed me to get it thin enough for the cookie cutters.

We spent most of the afternoon cutting out the cookies and baking them. Jack really was a good little helper and we didn't make much of a mess. When the cookies came out of the oven he was anxious to try them. I am so thankful I use an edible recipe because he really did seem to like the cookies.

It was Saturday before we had a chance to put ribbons on our ornaments and hang them on the tree. Jack was great at helping with this process as well. I turned on some Christmas music and we all sat on the couch to thread the ribbon. We even let Jack use scissors for the first time (supervised) and he did a great job of helping us cut the ribbon.

This was a successful tradition that translated well to having a child help. Though, as with any activity involving kids, you need to check your perfectionistic tendencies at the door and put on a patience hat. You know, for those times you turn around and find your kid rolling your rolling pin across the hardwood floors... It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here!


Popular posts from this blog

Baby Update: 32 Weeks, What's It Like to Have Polyhydramnios

I have had some questions about how I am feeling so I thought I would share what it has been like for me to experience Polyhydramnios with this pregnancy. If you have missed my previous posts, I have too much amniotic fluid in my uterus which makes my belly really big and it also causes early contractions (and possibly labor) because my body thinks it is further along than it is. For me it meant a hospital stay at almost-30 weeks to stop contractions.

Yesterday I had my follow up with the high-risk OB. Their ultrasound measurements showed the fluid is currently 21cm (which is below the risk). The measurements are a bit of an art project with different people getting different numbers (last week I was still measuring 25cm). The doctor I saw said they will continue to measure and assess me on a weekly basis for now. According to him, once I make it to 34 weeks, they would not try to prevent birth if I went into labor. He also mentioned wanting to induce me at 38 weeks. We shall see... my…

Weekend Project: Sign Art

UPDATE 01/07/16
This project is by far my most viewed post thanks to Pinterest and also this blog post from Make Magazine in 2014. If you are interested in purchasing a PDF of the words from me, you may do so for $20. Contact me at cheree dot moore at gmail dot com to make the purchase. If you make your own sign, I would love to hear about and see your results!

For some time, I have been intrigued by the idea of transferring printed art to wood. Specifically the transfer of words (or typography). Sign art is all over the internet – be it blogs I follow or Pinterest – and I have had an itch to try my hand at it. 

Daniel and I had some scrap wood from pallets from our move to Alabama that was in good shape and I thought that this wood gave me the perfect opportunity to create a (cheap) sign for our living room.

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to go on the sign and then it took even longer to research how I would do the transfer. Actually doing the project took even longer sin…

It's the Final Countdown

Three long years ago, we learned that Daniel was going to be relocated from working in Hollywood, Alabama to two hours north in Spring City, Tennessee. We knew it was coming, but it still turned our world upside down. We spent eight months living out of suitcases, in and out of hotels and vacation homes during the week, until finally settling into our current home on Signal Mountain.
We both felt strongly that we made the right choice in regard to the location of our new home, but we knew it would be a difficult journey – Daniel's new position promised long hours, with a 70-minute commute each way. We were told the job would last about a year, so we hoped and prayed for the best.
To say it's been a hard experience would be an understatement. Jack went through a phase where he didn't believe that Daniel lived at our house. Which was kind of true. For months on end, Daniel worked 6-7 days a week, and sometimes weeks at a time without a day off. The hours were lo…