Thursday, February 26, 2015

Big Snow, 2015


We finally got a good snow this year – about 8" to be exact. The good thing about living where we live is that the snow is pretty, we can enjoy for a day or two, and then it disappears. I'm pretty sure the weather reports are calling for temps in the mid 50s next week.


The bad part about living where we live is that the roads don't always get treated in time. We live on top of a mountain and there are 3 main roads that access the top. Two of which regularly get shut down. 


Last night, Daniel left work in an effort to get home before dark, but he got caught on the main road at the front of the mountain. There was an accident at the top and what normally is a 6-10 minute drive up ended up taking 30+minutes. 


Thankfully he was in the first group of people trying to get up because we read reports that people were stuck for more than 3 hours and many eventually had to abandon their cars and walk up.


I'm not going to lie, I have been having a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions this week and the whole idea that all 3 roads on and off the mountain were closed made me a bit nervous. Daniel said that if we had to, he would get us off the mountain. Hopefully this is the end of our winter weather for the year.


After supper, we made our traditional snow cream. Daniel grew up making snow cream and we have done our best to make it when we get a good snow. It's a nice tradition that I am glad we can share with Jack. What kid doesn't like the sugary goodness of a sweet treat that you can only have when it snows? This is Jack's second time to have it.


This morning we woke up and had about 8" of fluffy snow on the ground. I made chocolate chip banana muffins while my guys slept in. After breakfast, we headed out to have some fun in the snow.


On Signal Mountain, where we live, it is a tradition to head out to the golf course for sledding. We did this last year, but this year didn't feel like making the effort. I have no doubt that we have many years ahead to make it over to sled on the golf course.


This year we enjoyed pulling Jack around our neighborhood on a sled, then we had a snowball fight, made snow angels and built a snowman at the park across the street from our house.


Not a bad way to spend a morning together.

Jack demonstrates walking up climbing up our front steps.

Jack and Daniel have a snowball fight.

Building his first snowman. Jack was very concerned that we didn't have a carrot.

Making snow angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...