Skip to main content

Grandma's Peanut Butter Cookies

A lot of the memories that we collectively shared at my Grandma's funeral revolved around food. Delicious, southern, comfort food to be exact. One of my dad's cousins who attended the funeral was sweet enough to make peanut butter cookies from a recipe my Grandma gave her in 1968. She sent each of us home with a bag of these cookies and then emailed the recipe to my mom to share.

This week I had a chance to whip up a batch, and no lie, these really are the best peanut butter cookies. The recipe calls for 1 cup of fat. I used butter. REAL butter, no fake stuff here. If memory serves me, I'm pretty sure Grandma always used butter when I was a kid.

When I was making my batch, Jack wandered into the kitchen, looked in the mixing bowl and told me that my cookie batter was dirty. I guess the peanut butter made it look too dark for his liking.

I used my hands to roll the batter into balls and then Jack helped me press the fork into the balls to flatten them. He quickly got over his dislike of the "dirty" batter, first licking the beater clean and then devouring every cookie he could get his hands on. He told me they turned out better than he expected.

The funeral was just over two weeks ago, but through food, I am still remembering Grandma.

Grandma's Peanut Butter Cookies, circa 1968
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup fat (I used real, unsalted butter)                                            
1 cup peanut butter (I used natural, but any brand, chunky or smooth works)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
Mix butter, peanut butter and sugars.
Add eggs and beat well.
Stir in dry ingredients
Roll into 1-inch balls (or drop by tsp).
Flatten with fork (you can dip the fork in cold water or sugar)
Bake at 375 for 10 minutes until light brown.


Popular posts from this blog

Baby Update: 32 Weeks, What's It Like to Have Polyhydramnios

I have had some questions about how I am feeling so I thought I would share what it has been like for me to experience Polyhydramnios with this pregnancy. If you have missed my previous posts, I have too much amniotic fluid in my uterus which makes my belly really big and it also causes early contractions (and possibly labor) because my body thinks it is further along than it is. For me it meant a hospital stay at almost-30 weeks to stop contractions.

Yesterday I had my follow up with the high-risk OB. Their ultrasound measurements showed the fluid is currently 21cm (which is below the risk). The measurements are a bit of an art project with different people getting different numbers (last week I was still measuring 25cm). The doctor I saw said they will continue to measure and assess me on a weekly basis for now. According to him, once I make it to 34 weeks, they would not try to prevent birth if I went into labor. He also mentioned wanting to induce me at 38 weeks. We shall see... my…

Weekend Project: Sign Art

UPDATE 01/07/16
This project is by far my most viewed post thanks to Pinterest and also this blog post from Make Magazine in 2014. If you are interested in purchasing a PDF of the words from me, you may do so for $20. Contact me at cheree dot moore at gmail dot com to make the purchase. If you make your own sign, I would love to hear about and see your results!

For some time, I have been intrigued by the idea of transferring printed art to wood. Specifically the transfer of words (or typography). Sign art is all over the internet – be it blogs I follow or Pinterest – and I have had an itch to try my hand at it. 

Daniel and I had some scrap wood from pallets from our move to Alabama that was in good shape and I thought that this wood gave me the perfect opportunity to create a (cheap) sign for our living room.

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to go on the sign and then it took even longer to research how I would do the transfer. Actually doing the project took even longer sin…

It's the Final Countdown

Three long years ago, we learned that Daniel was going to be relocated from working in Hollywood, Alabama to two hours north in Spring City, Tennessee. We knew it was coming, but it still turned our world upside down. We spent eight months living out of suitcases, in and out of hotels and vacation homes during the week, until finally settling into our current home on Signal Mountain.
We both felt strongly that we made the right choice in regard to the location of our new home, but we knew it would be a difficult journey – Daniel's new position promised long hours, with a 70-minute commute each way. We were told the job would last about a year, so we hoped and prayed for the best.
To say it's been a hard experience would be an understatement. Jack went through a phase where he didn't believe that Daniel lived at our house. Which was kind of true. For months on end, Daniel worked 6-7 days a week, and sometimes weeks at a time without a day off. The hours were lo…