Monday, March 14, 2016

Grandma's Peanut Butter Cookies

A lot of the memories that we collectively shared at my Grandma's funeral revolved around food. Delicious, southern, comfort food to be exact. One of my dad's cousins who attended the funeral was sweet enough to make peanut butter cookies from a recipe my Grandma gave her in 1968. She sent each of us home with a bag of these cookies and then emailed the recipe to my mom to share.


This week I had a chance to whip up a batch, and no lie, these really are the best peanut butter cookies. The recipe calls for 1 cup of fat. I used butter. REAL butter, no fake stuff here. If memory serves me, I'm pretty sure Grandma always used butter when I was a kid.

When I was making my batch, Jack wandered into the kitchen, looked in the mixing bowl and told me that my cookie batter was dirty. I guess the peanut butter made it look too dark for his liking.


I used my hands to roll the batter into balls and then Jack helped me press the fork into the balls to flatten them. He quickly got over his dislike of the "dirty" batter, first licking the beater clean and then devouring every cookie he could get his hands on. He told me they turned out better than he expected.

The funeral was just over two weeks ago, but through food, I am still remembering Grandma.


Grandma's Peanut Butter Cookies, circa 1968
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup fat (I used real, unsalted butter)                                            
1 cup peanut butter (I used natural, but any brand, chunky or smooth works)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
 
Directions
Mix butter, peanut butter and sugars.
Add eggs and beat well.
Stir in dry ingredients
Roll into 1-inch balls (or drop by tsp).
Flatten with fork (you can dip the fork in cold water or sugar)
Bake at 375 for 10 minutes until light brown.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...