Friday, August 25, 2017

First Friend Friday of the 2017-2018 School Year

For the last year, the kids and I have been meeting informally with a group of friends on Fridays – we call it "Friend Friday."


I'm not really sure how it started, and we don't always meet on Friday, but it has become a staple in our week, and the kids are always bummed when we miss out.


Sometimes we do educational trips – like going to see the Nina and the Pinta when they came to Chattanooga. Other times we go for short hikes. And still other times we just hang out and the kids play.  It's a great way for the kids to have fun together and it's a nice break for us mamas as well.


When we decided to homeschool, it made me feel good knowing we already had this group to do fun things with. Since we are homeschooling and our circle of people has gotten smaller, I have been working to extend our Friend Fridays to more of our homeschool friends.


So each Friday this year, we will be joining a group of friends to play and have fun, and also to learn. To kick off our very first official Homeschool Friend Friday, we decided to meet at Coolidge Park to play. The fountains were turned off for maintenance purposes, but we still had a fun day.


We each brought picnic food and blankets to sit in the shade. There were balls for playing in the field. And the kids spent some time climbing the giant magnolia trees under the Walnut Street Walking Bridge.


We ended our day by riding the carousel – Isaac was not a fan, and this photo pretty much sums up what he thinks about homeschool.


Overall, it was a wonderful way to kick off our Friend Fridays now that school is officially in session. Check back on Fridays to see our weekly outings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...