Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Date Night

After 18+ years of marriage, it must be said... Daniel and I are in a season where date nights are a struggle. And not because we don't enjoy going out together.

Several of my friends have recently told me that they appreciate the weekly hikes I plan because they don’t have to think, they can just show up. I realized that Daniel and I are that way with date nights. We always enjoy when we go out, but the planning and making it happen just never seem to happen. 

So when a friend organized a group date for tonight, we were elated to tag along (no planning!) and we had the best time. We started out by meeting in front of the Hunter Museum of Art for drinks and hellos before moving to Tony's Pasta Shop. They will seat 8 to a table, but were nice to split us up at two tables that were side-by-side. We ended the evening on the patio at Rembrandt's for coffee and dessert. Heat lamps kept us warm and the conversation was hilarious and encouraging. 

Daniel and I were the youngest of the group and between our 18 years of marriage and the oldest couple's 30 years of marriage, there were many funny stories as well as wisdom about marriage to be shared.  The oldest couple joked that they had been married for 30 years, happily for 13. To be honest it was encouraging to hear that everyone had had hard years at some point. That growing up together can be tough, but getting through those early years and hardships is worth it. We all have ups and downs.

It’s not every day that five couples (whose spouses don’t necessarily know each other) can get together and hit it off right off the bat. This night out was such a gift. Especially since it was sandwiched in between some difficult parts of a long day. Sometimes you are spending your day cleaning dog or kid or figurative poop up from your life; and several hours spent with your favorite guy and some great friends make the hard parts more bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...