Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Weekly Hike: Greenway Farms

My parents gave me a call as we were heading to our weekly hike. They are in Arkansas dealing with frigid temps and snow with a heating system that barely works and space heaters keeping them warm ––thankfully they still have power. They were surprised to hear we were on our way to our weekly hike. 

 

In our neck of the woods, temps made it up to 40 today and what little snow we got yesterday has melted. The south is being blasted with unprecedented cold weather, but our little corner of Tennessee has had very little impact.


Since our previous two hikes were 5+ miles I chose a shorter walk this week – I want my boys to continue to enjoy our weekly walks in the woods.

Our hiking crew met us at Greenway Farms, parking by the start of the trail to the Quarry (normally we start at the Dog Park). We walked up the hill until we reached Ropes Trail and then we began the muddy part of our walk. When we got to the Boy Scout Trail we headed downhill to rejoin the Quarry Trail. On another hike we will have to complete the Boy Scout Trail.

We took the gravel trail down to the quarry where the kids enjoyed climbing the side of ridge and throwing rocks into the water. We also noticed a bunch of huge icicles on the quarry wall.


To finish out our hike we climbed up and walked on the ridge around the quarry, back to the main parking lot, ending with a total of 2.5 miles for the day’s hike. 

I’m thinking everyone must enjoy our longer hiking days because we stood around for another hour visiting while the kids played!




Last week the boys were hiking shirtless, this week everyone kept their jackets on and stayed busy looking for icicles. That's Tennessee weather for you.


This was the 15th hike (15/52) for the year and we covered 2.5 miles bringing total miles for this year to 45.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...