Sunday, May 06, 2012

Volunteering

Over the years Daniel and I have discussed how important we both felt it was to teach our children {should we have any} to volunteer. We want to instill a selfless attitude and a willingness to serve in our children. Well, now that we have Jack, we have been talking more seriously about how we could make this a reality.


When the opportunity to serve lunch at The Downtown Rescue Mission in Huntsville came up, we signed up right away. We felt that there is no time like the present to get Jack used to the idea of serving and to see his parents in action. We know that he won't remember this particular instance, but if this becomes his normal, we hope that he will take on the desire to serve others.


With that in mind, we went to the Downtown Rescue Mission after church. I stuck Jack in the Baby Bjorn and we headed in. It was amazing the response we received by having a baby with us. Jack is the perfect age to do this. I could control him and not worry about him running around. He loves to laugh and smile at people and he really engaged a lot of people as they passed through the food line. This would not be an easy thing to do with a toddler, but I think serving lunch with a baby strapped to you is a great opportunity to share your child with people that might not get to see the sweet smiles and giggles of a baby. We are so glad we took this opportunity to serve. We hope there we will be many more such opportunities in our future {and in Jack's}.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...