Saturday, August 23, 2014

Jack's First Day of Preschool


Monday morning we woke to a wet, foggy day. I set my alarm to make sure we wouldn't oversleep and Jack wanted to know why it was so dark outside.


We hadn't talked a whole lot about preschool, just here and there – like when we drove by the school, but Jack was still excited. I asked him what he wanted for breakfast and we made pancakes together. Then he dressed himself, it was even appropriate to wear his rain boots since it was raining.


Our little guy is very independent (when we went to preschool orientation, Jack ran in to play and never looked back), so I expected the first day of preschool to be easy. And it was. 


I must admit that I got a little teary-eyed walking him in, but as soon as we were inside I was distracted by the dropoff. Actually I was distracted by all of the crying kids. Jack did not cry, he just ran in to play and I had to ask him to come back for a hug and then I left.


To treat myself to my first morning of freedom I went to the Olive Bean cafe for a latte. At pickup, Jack was a happy camper. He didn't want to leave because he was too busy playing. 


Day 2 of preschool went pretty much the same way (except it had stopped raining). I think Jack will love preschool. I have mixed feelings about how much he will actually learn since he is almost 3 and stuck in the 2 class because he has a November birthday, but I think he will have lots of fun and I will have a bit more time to get projects done.


Another thing we took care of this week was getting Jack a much overdue haircut. He was starting to look pretty shaggy. I kind of like him with longer hair, but it was getting in his eyes.


I think this is about the 6th haircut he has had and it was the best experience so far. We have been choosing to drive to Pigtails and Crewcuts in East Brainerd because they have toys to play with while you wait, the staff is professional and fast, and the kids get to pick to sit in an airplane, police car or firetruck.


This was a very successful week for Jack – preschool and a haircut with no tears invovled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...