Monday, October 12, 2015

Fall Break 2015: Florida


My sister and her family moved from Nashville to Tallahassee about a year-and-a-half ago. We have sorely missed having them live in a neighboring city. What used to be a doable day trip (2 hours each way) now requires 8 hours in the car with little ones.



Last year our entire family met up in Mexico Beach for some fun in the sun, but this year we decided we needed to go see my sister's family in their new house and experience their new city.



Jack has missed his cousins (which I know all too well since most of my cousins live in Canada) so we will continue to do our best to make sure our kiddos get quality time together.


The thing that stands out to me most about the Tallahassee area is all of the Spanish moss hanging from the big oak trees. It is beautiful. I also loved the large cypress trees growing in the swampy areas. It is such a different feel from the mountains where we currently live. I hope that Jack and Isaac will cherish this different area of the country as we continue to venture down to visit their cousins.



On this particular trip my sister had a full schedule mapped out for us. I will post about each of our day trips in upcoming posts, but here is a quick recap:



On Thursday we drove out to Wakulla Springs for a river boat ride where we saw two manatees and quite a few alligators, in addition to the many birds and turtles living in this sanctuary.



Friday involved a field trip with my niece's first grade class to the local fire station. The boys had fun checking out the fire engines (though with 100+ kids running around, Jack thought it was all too loud).



Friday afternoon we got Izzy out of school and went to the Tallahassee Jr. Museum where we walked around and saw animals that are native to the area – including a panther and two black bears, oh my!



On Saturday we made our way to St. George Island on the Gulf. This was probably the kids favorite outing – building sand castles and splashing in the water.



We had a lovely week with my sister and her family. It was extra special since my brother and my mom were able to join us (they rode down with me and the boys so that I would have some help on the trip).


Isaac was a trooper through all of the outings, even though he was teething all week. He is working on not one, but two bottom teeth!



It was a wonderful Fall Break, but we missed having Daniel and my dad along on this trip.



Fall Break Recap:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...