Thursday, October 18, 2007

Ron Mueck

Last weekend I had the opportunity to view the Ron Mueck exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art in Ft. Worth, Texas. First of all, the museum itself was a beautiful space. The architecture brought light, water and concrete together in a really amazing way.

The Ron Mueck exhibit was fantastic. His over-sized and under-sized sculptures looked incredibly lifelike (except for their sizes). Looking at the sculpture "In Bed" I had the odd sensation of what Jack must have felt like, walking among giants, in the story
Jack and the Beanstalk.

Another sculpture, "Two Women," made me feel as though I were the giant, walking in the land of the small. The attention to detail made me feel as though I could almost hear these two old women, standing around, gossiping at the grocery store.

All of the sculptures made you feel like they would get up at any moment and interact with you. Like in the movie,
Night in the Museum, where everything comes to life at night. Any moment... they will wake up, bewildered that you are in their space...

The skin, the hair, the wrinkles, it all seemed so real. If you have the chance to see Ron Mueck's work, I would highly recommend it.

Click here to view sculptures from the exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...