Saturday, February 02, 2008

No More Racoons In Our Chimney

So last weekend we (meaning my sister, Angela, and I) rearranged our basement so that we were able to use our fireplace for the first time in 2 years! When Daniel went to open the flume to the chimney so that he could start a fire, he saw a gray and black tail and two beady eyes.

Unsure of how to remove the raccoon from the chimney, we decided that if Daniel beat on the metal flume door with the iron poker that the raccoon would get scared or annoyed at the noise and leave. This worked beautifully and we were able to have our first fire last weekend while Angela was visiting.


This week Daniel decided that we should cap our chimney to prevent future inhabitants. So we went through the drill with me banging on the metal door with the poker while Daniel went up on the roof to put the cap on. So now we can have fires and not worry about strange little animals being in the chimney.
 
Current view of the basement. Whenever we get around to the renovation, 
we will make this area into our game/media room. It is 600 sf shaped like an L.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...