Thursday, March 11, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Book 10


This week I read A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. This is the second book I have read by her {the first being Many Waters}. She truly has a gift for weaving science fiction with Biblical themes.

Five of my favorite passages from this book:
"Wee mussttn'tt looose ourr senssess of hummorr. Thee onnlly wway ttoo ccope withh ssometthingg ddeadly sseriouss iss ttoo ttry ttoo trreatt itt a llittlle lligghtly."

The more a man knows, the less he talks.
 

Experience is the mother of knowledge.
 

"What you will soon realize is that there is no need to fight me. Not only is there no need, but you will not have the slightest desire to do so, for why should you wish to fight someone who is here to save you pain and trouble." - IT {the brain controlling all of the people on the planet Camazotz}

"In your language you have a form of poetry called the sonnet... It is a very strict form of poetry... there are fourteen lines, I believe, in iambic pentameter. That's a very strict rhythm or meter... And each line has to end with a rigid rhyme pattern. And if the poet does not do it exactly this way, it is not a sonnet... But within this strict form, the poet has complete freedom to say whatever her wants..."


"You're comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within?"

"Yes. You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...