Friday, May 31, 2013

Lowe Mill Docks Concert Series and a Hike


We finally made it to a concert at the Lowe Mill in Huntsville. Unfortunately it is the last one of the season and we have to wait until September for it to start back up.


Before going to the concert, we made a pit stop at Blevin's Gap for a 1.5 mile hike in the woods. We love that there are trails so close to civilization. If we ever have a chance to move to Huntsville, we will try to buy in the Jones Valley area – it has Hays Nature Preserve for biking, trails at Blevins Gap for hiking or running and the Flint River for paddling. We LOVE this area.


After our short hike, we made our way over to Lowe Mill. We were starting to doubt the GPS, when Daniel said, "I see razor wire... we must be close." Sure enough, Lowe Mill was right around the corner. Why are art districts always in sketchy areas of town?

Anyways, we unloaded our camp chairs and blanket and settled onto a grassy spot in the back with a full view of the stage. The event was very relaxed. Most people brought their own food and drinks. We had water and snacks and Daniel went inside the Mill to score some sandwiches from Happy Tummy. They were delicious, but because of the concert, it took him 40+ minutes to secure our food.


   
Thankfully Jack was too busy enjoying the concert and people watching to notice.


Our boy loves music. He would bounce up and down to the music and he clapped after every set.


Can you spot Jack and Daniel in the crowd?
 
There was a 30 minute intermission at 7:30 and I wandered through the Mill to look at the various art galleries. It made me nostalgic for college... the smell of turpentine and linseed oil was strong from all of the oil painting studios. There were graphic design studios, painting studios, a print shop, a used book store, and even a theater for local filmmakers. I was impressed. If we ever live in a city again and I am in the mood to expand my business, I would be very tempted to rent studio space somewhere like this.


Overall it was a great family date night. Jack held up well for the evening -- we left about 8:30. He was mesmerized by the water tower that changed color after dark. He chatted the whole way home and went to bed without a hitch. I am so thankful he is easy going and we can do fun stuff like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...