Monday, June 30, 2014

Cooking with Pinterest.8

Below are recaps of the new recipes I tried in the last couple of weeks:
 

Pork and Snap Pea Kebabs with Ginger-Hoisin Glaze via Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart recipes can sometimes be a little frou frou for my taste, but this was an excellent one. It cooked really quickly on the grill. Kabobs are becoming my go to meal for summer – there are so many combinations and it is easy to combine a meat and veggie. Jack wasn't a fan of the peas, but loved the meat and rice.

Parent Score 5/5 | Toddler Score 4/5

Honey Porter Chicken Skewers with rice and green beans via The Beeroness


More kabobs. These were another hit. The flavor of the meat was smooth – the marinade smelled like beer, but the kabobs didn't taste like beer at all. We all gobbled these kabobs up. No complaints.

Parent Score 5/5 | Toddler Score 5/5
 

Beefy Nachos via The Wanderlust Kitchen
I browned some beef and used leftover black beans and rice for this dish. Creating a crust from crushed tortilla chips and butter really makes this dish – it is flavorful and crunchy. The dish didn't need rice, but I had leftovers and it fit well. Overall, not off the charts spectacular, but a tasty dish.


Parent Score 4/5 | Toddler Score 4/5

Pineapple Orange Banana Popsicles via Gimme Some Oven 

Easy, healthy and toddler approved. This was a great blend of flavors and the leftovers worked well as smoothies.
 

Parent Score 5/5 | Toddler Score 5/5
 

Dad's Famous Pancakes via Blessed Success

These were good pancakes, but I think I prefer my mom's recipe. They were a little heavier than I like, but the addition of brown sugar was a nice touch. We added blueberries and Jack downed 3 pancakes before I told him no more so that I could have some to eat.


Parent Score 4/5 | Toddler Score 4/5

One-Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls via Number 2 Pencil 

I was distracted by Jack helping with cooking and didn't get a photo. For this dish I used some leftover beans, rice and corn from a previous meal. I sauteed the chicken and the dish cooked up quickly. It was very tasty and made for great leftovers.

Parent Score 5/5 | Toddler Score 5/5

Browned Butter, Peanut Butter, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies via Cooking Classy


Jack and I have been on a bit of a weekly cookie baking streak. I try to keep things relatively healthy, opting for oatmeal and peanut butter when possible. These cookies were a hit. The browned butter gave the cookies a bit of a nutty taste. 


  
In addition to the original recipe, I decided to add 1/2 cup of finely chopped pecans. Other changes include using 9 tbsp instead of 10 tbsp of butter, natural peanut butter and then sugar with molasses instead of brown sugar (I was out). Also, I use dark chocolate chips instead of regular chocolate chips. The cookies were yummy, but a bit crumbly (probably due to not having enough butter and using a medium egg instead of a large egg). Thumbs up from the Moore family though.

Parent Score 5/5 | Toddler Score 5/5

Zucchini Pizza Boats via Damn Delicious


The original recipe I found required pre-cooking the zucchini. I wanted something a little simpler, so I combined the ingredients from the Damn Delicious recipe with the idea of Zucchini Boats I found on Dashing Dish. The end result was easy and delicious. A win for the whole family.

Parent Score 5/5 | Toddler Score 5/5

As you can see, we had some great hits with the Pinterest recipes this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...