Thursday, May 05, 2016

My Boys


I get monthly emails from BabyCenter with helpful information about what to expect each month in terms of the milestones and development of my kids (one email for Jack and one for Isaac). The last email I received for Isaac (the day he turned one) referred to my baby as a "toddler" and I was like, "whoa, he's still just a baby!" But really, I guess he is technically a toddler, or at least on the verge of being a toddler.


These milestones sneak up on you and I'm not ready!


Jack has also surprised me lately. Whenever Isaac is napping, he comes and sweetly asks if it is "mommy and Jack time." Which of course, I say yes to. This is a new development and makes it me realize how much has changed in the last year.


Jack never really complained or seemed bothered about being usurped as the baby in our family. Honestly he took the whole experience really well – being very independent and doing so much for himself. Plus he is super helpful with Isaac and mostly plays really well with him (he even calls himself the Baby Patrol and helps me to corral Isaac). 


But every once in awhile, I am reminded that he is only four and it wasn't so long ago that he was our only kid, and my days were composed of me and my first baby. Of course, he would never want me to call him my baby now, but on occasion, he still wants me to himself. I'm going to try to be more mindful of that. As both boys get older I think we will start implementing one-on-one time with each of them.


Yesterday I had the opportunity for a quick date with Jack. A friend kept Isaac while I took Jack to a dermatologist (no big deal, just some eczema that hasn't cleared up). After the appointment Jack and I stopped at Dunkin Donuts where we went inside for donuts. It was sweet to spend the afternoon with my big boy. I know he won't always want to spend time with me, so I am trying my best to savor these moments together.


I know I will blink and these two will be teenagers...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...