Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Strawberry Picking


We had a very full weekend. I can tell we were busy because I spent most of Monday playing catch up – tons of laundry, dishes and toys to be dealt with. Today I feel caught up so I wanted to share about our weekend, starting with strawberry picking (there was also a trip to IKEA in Atlanta, T-Ball pictures, hiking and paddling).


Friday morning I managed to get my kids up and out the door by 9:45am. Unless it's a preschool day, we typically don't get out of the house before 11:30, so this was a feat in and of itself. 


Plus, I had to pack not only for strawberry picking, but for the entire day since we were planning on meeting Daniel in Atlanta. But somehow I got it all together and we made it to the farm on time.


Sims Farm is located in Ft. Oglethorpe, GA, about 40 minutes from our house. On the plus side, it was on the way to Atlanta. We met up with friends at 10:30 for some time picking strawberries and a picnic in the sunshine.


Nestled within sight of the mountains, Sims Farm was a very idyllic setting. It is actually a sod farm, but they also plant strawberries for the public to come pick.


To start May off, we had a cold snap and the weather the day we visited the farm was perfect. It was just starting to warm up, but it was breezy so no one got overly hot.


The kids in our group ranged from a baby to a few first graders. Isaac was one of three 1-year-olds in the group. While the other two toddlers seemed content in their strollers, Isaac insisted on not being constrained. 


So I plopped him among some daisies and he ate his fill of strawberries (the first one I didn't realize he had grabbed, and after that he went to town on the sweet berries).


Jack was a really good picker. He was so proud of himself to filling up his basket to overflowing – without any help. 


After we all had enough berries to take home, we paid for our fruit and then set up blankets for a picnic. It was such a pretty day. 


The moms visited while the older kids played games. Jack was excited to learn how to play Red Rover.


Strawberry picking was such a fun activity and Jack seems to be at an age where he really likes to participate in activities, so this was right up his alley. We will have to plan to go again next year. I had two very tired little boys when I left the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...