Skip to main content

Family Time in May is Becoming a Tradition

There are certain times of year that are busier than others. May is one of those times. There is Mother's Day, school is wrapping up, summer is on the horizon, and for the last several years it has also been a time that some of my family has able to get together.

I come from a family that is spread all over and we don't get to see each other that often, so I am grateful for the times when it works out for a visit. 

A majority of my extended family lives in Canada, my parents are in Arkansas, my brother is the closest in Nashville, and my sister and her family live in Florida.

Over the last several years, my Nana has been able to come down for a visit around this time and I am so grateful for our time together and the memories we have created. It is even sweeter now that I have children and they are getting the opportunity to spend time with loved ones.

We had a quick 3-day visit before my parents took my Nana on to Florida to see my sister. 

As we get older and our families grow, it is getting more challenging to be all together at every gathering. Sometimes you just have to do the best you can and be ok with that.

Jack adored having family here. There were lots of trips to our neighborhood park, there were games to be played and lots of good food to eat. 

Isaac hammed it up for everyone with his goofy smile and valiant efforts at communication. He doesn't really say any words, but through grunts, pointing, patting or shouting he is communicating plenty.

It was a great little reunion and I'm looking forward to seeing more of my extended family later this summer when we plan to head north for this year's vacation.

A Look Back at previous years we have managed to get together in May:
Isaac joins the family, May 2015  ⎮  Izzy graduates from preschool and Moriah graduates from high school, May 2014Mother's Day, May 2013


Popular posts from this blog

Baby Update: 32 Weeks, What's It Like to Have Polyhydramnios

I have had some questions about how I am feeling so I thought I would share what it has been like for me to experience Polyhydramnios with this pregnancy. If you have missed my previous posts, I have too much amniotic fluid in my uterus which makes my belly really big and it also causes early contractions (and possibly labor) because my body thinks it is further along than it is. For me it meant a hospital stay at almost-30 weeks to stop contractions.

Yesterday I had my follow up with the high-risk OB. Their ultrasound measurements showed the fluid is currently 21cm (which is below the risk). The measurements are a bit of an art project with different people getting different numbers (last week I was still measuring 25cm). The doctor I saw said they will continue to measure and assess me on a weekly basis for now. According to him, once I make it to 34 weeks, they would not try to prevent birth if I went into labor. He also mentioned wanting to induce me at 38 weeks. We shall see... my…

Weekend Project: Sign Art

UPDATE 01/07/16
This project is by far my most viewed post thanks to Pinterest and also this blog post from Make Magazine in 2014. If you are interested in purchasing a PDF of the words from me, you may do so for $20. Contact me at cheree dot moore at gmail dot com to make the purchase. If you make your own sign, I would love to hear about and see your results!

For some time, I have been intrigued by the idea of transferring printed art to wood. Specifically the transfer of words (or typography). Sign art is all over the internet – be it blogs I follow or Pinterest – and I have had an itch to try my hand at it. 

Daniel and I had some scrap wood from pallets from our move to Alabama that was in good shape and I thought that this wood gave me the perfect opportunity to create a (cheap) sign for our living room.

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to go on the sign and then it took even longer to research how I would do the transfer. Actually doing the project took even longer sin…

It's the Final Countdown

Three long years ago, we learned that Daniel was going to be relocated from working in Hollywood, Alabama to two hours north in Spring City, Tennessee. We knew it was coming, but it still turned our world upside down. We spent eight months living out of suitcases, in and out of hotels and vacation homes during the week, until finally settling into our current home on Signal Mountain.
We both felt strongly that we made the right choice in regard to the location of our new home, but we knew it would be a difficult journey – Daniel's new position promised long hours, with a 70-minute commute each way. We were told the job would last about a year, so we hoped and prayed for the best.
To say it's been a hard experience would be an understatement. Jack went through a phase where he didn't believe that Daniel lived at our house. Which was kind of true. For months on end, Daniel worked 6-7 days a week, and sometimes weeks at a time without a day off. The hours were lo…