Skip to main content

Friends for Life

Every couple of years or so we manage to get together with friends from our past. Sometimes friends from growing up, sometimes college friends, sometimes friends from earlier stages of our marriage.

We have moved four times since getting married so there is no shortage of friends from these various life stages.

One of the first couples that we made friends with when we were first married was Gwynn and Chuck. We were living in Cookeville, TN at the time and had joined a small group at our church. All of the couples in our group were older than us and most had started to have their first round of babies.

We were newly married and looking for friendship, and also people who were slightly ahead of us in the marriage game that we could look up to.

We felt an instant connection to Gwynn and Chuck and enjoyed many coffee dates, hikes, and camping trips as we shared similar interests.

As most good things, our time in Cookeville came to an end and we moved on to Charlotte, NC where we started over in another small group where most of the couples were starting their families and we were not. Thank goodness we have been welcomed into small groups regardless of whether or not we were parents!

We are grateful that over the last 13+ years we have managed to squeeze in periodic visits with our old friends from our early years in Cookeville.

One year we met up in Gatlinburg (I think for breakfast) before heading into the Smokies for an overnight backpacking trip.

A few years after that, they came to see us in Hollywood, AL. I was pregnant with our first child and they had three little ones running around. It was a blessing to reconnect and get some solid advice and encouragement as we were on the brink of finally becoming parents.

And another time we went to their home in Goodletsville, TN and spent hours visiting and introducing them to our two kids. Years may pass between visits, but we always pick right back up as if no time has passed.

A week ago their youngest was playing in a local soccer tournament and it worked out for them to come stay with us for the weekend. During the days it was all soccer but we still a managed to fit in a great visit when we could.

Even though their kids are older, all five children seemed to enjoy being together. By the end of the weekend Jack thought they were his cousins!

Saturday night we had a campfire and enjoyed S'mores with the Moores, then Sunday afternoon we took a hike to a local waterfall. It was such a lovely weekend, I don't think any of us wanted it to end.

After a weekend of kids (and adults) staying up way too late, we all crashed (Jack completely fell apart before dinner). This meant early bedtimes for our crew. Thankfully both kids slept in until 9am the next morning.

We feel so thankful to have so many wonderful friends in our lives who have been a blessing to us at different stages of our lives.

Moving semi-regularly is hard, but we have been truly blessed to find good people who have loved us in each place we have lived.

I hope that our kids grow up to find friendships that will last a lifetime, regardless of how often or how far they move.


Popular posts from this blog

Baby Update: 32 Weeks, What's It Like to Have Polyhydramnios

I have had some questions about how I am feeling so I thought I would share what it has been like for me to experience Polyhydramnios with this pregnancy. If you have missed my previous posts, I have too much amniotic fluid in my uterus which makes my belly really big and it also causes early contractions (and possibly labor) because my body thinks it is further along than it is. For me it meant a hospital stay at almost-30 weeks to stop contractions.

Yesterday I had my follow up with the high-risk OB. Their ultrasound measurements showed the fluid is currently 21cm (which is below the risk). The measurements are a bit of an art project with different people getting different numbers (last week I was still measuring 25cm). The doctor I saw said they will continue to measure and assess me on a weekly basis for now. According to him, once I make it to 34 weeks, they would not try to prevent birth if I went into labor. He also mentioned wanting to induce me at 38 weeks. We shall see... my…

Weekend Project: Sign Art

UPDATE 01/07/16
This project is by far my most viewed post thanks to Pinterest and also this blog post from Make Magazine in 2014. If you are interested in purchasing a PDF of the words from me, you may do so for $20. Contact me at cheree dot moore at gmail dot com to make the purchase. If you make your own sign, I would love to hear about and see your results!

For some time, I have been intrigued by the idea of transferring printed art to wood. Specifically the transfer of words (or typography). Sign art is all over the internet – be it blogs I follow or Pinterest – and I have had an itch to try my hand at it. 

Daniel and I had some scrap wood from pallets from our move to Alabama that was in good shape and I thought that this wood gave me the perfect opportunity to create a (cheap) sign for our living room.

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to go on the sign and then it took even longer to research how I would do the transfer. Actually doing the project took even longer sin…

It's the Final Countdown

Three long years ago, we learned that Daniel was going to be relocated from working in Hollywood, Alabama to two hours north in Spring City, Tennessee. We knew it was coming, but it still turned our world upside down. We spent eight months living out of suitcases, in and out of hotels and vacation homes during the week, until finally settling into our current home on Signal Mountain.
We both felt strongly that we made the right choice in regard to the location of our new home, but we knew it would be a difficult journey – Daniel's new position promised long hours, with a 70-minute commute each way. We were told the job would last about a year, so we hoped and prayed for the best.
To say it's been a hard experience would be an understatement. Jack went through a phase where he didn't believe that Daniel lived at our house. Which was kind of true. For months on end, Daniel worked 6-7 days a week, and sometimes weeks at a time without a day off. The hours were lo…