Monday, September 04, 2017

Isaac Starts Preschool


This is our fourth year to attend our preschool (the first year for Isaac). At drop off over the last two weeks I have a lot of other moms stop me (people I have seen in the hallways everyday but don't necessarily know) and they are incredulous that Isaac is old enough to be here. I feel the same way! The last two years have certainly flown by.


Last year, Isaac and I would walk Jack to his preschool class and I would have to drag Isaac away because he really wanted to stay at school. So I was surprised when we took Isaac to his orientation day and he burst into tears and tried to run away. He didn't show interest in being there until we went out on the playground and he discovered the plethora of toy trucks he could play with.


On his first official day, we arrived at school and he refused to take off his backpack. We posed for a quick photo before Jack and I took the opportunity to sneak away while he was distracted by a gigantic stuffed bear. He burst into tears as soon as he realized we had made a hasty exit. Thankfully the crying only lasted about 5 minutes


The second day, he insisted we sit for a picture again (he is a creature of habit) and still would not take off his backpack. We did a similar dance where I snuck out as soon as he was with a teacher. And again he cried for a few minutes.


While week one was a phase-in week with shorter classes to acclimate to being at preschool, this past week was the real deal with lunch and activities like circle time.


On Monday I walked into class with him, and again he insisted on wearing his backpack instead of hanging it up. I helped wash his hands and then he took my hand and guided me to a table with blocks. We stacked blocks together and he knocked them down a couple of times before I gave him a quick kiss, told him I loved him, and left. He cried briefly, but Ms. Jenni had him sit down to work with play dough and he calmed down pretty quickly.


On Thursday, he marched into preschool like he owned the place. He let me hang up his backpack, he went straight to Ms. Jenni and didn't look back. It is bittersweet, but he needs this time in a classroom setting and it will give me some extra time, one-on-one with Jack for homeschool.


I know that he will love his time at preschool. It is just all new to him. I can already see his language improving, and the notes home say he is doing great and that he already knows how to sit for circle time – time at church has certainly helped train him in this arena.


When Isaac is not at preschool, he is participating in homeschool with Jack. That has posed some challenges as he realizes that my focus is longer solely on him.


Isaac enjoys active learning like baking with his big brother, but is not a fan when Jack and I need to sit down to work on Math or Reading and Writing (Isaac doesn't like when Jack and I sit down to do paperwork. He can do what he wants, but he wants us to be doing what he wants to do). The year is still young and we are still finding our homeschool rhythm!


Here is a little about Isaac at the start of Preschool 2017, 2s Class:
My teachers this year are: Mrs. Jenni, Mrs. Kathy and Mrs. Velvet
I am: 2 years old.
I am: 33.5 inches tall and weigh 30 pounds.
My best friend's name is: I'm pretty sure he thinks Jack is his best friend. He also likes playing with Quinn at the Y and on play dates.
My favorite thing to play is: Anything Jack is playing with.
My favorite book is: Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? (He has parts memorized and we read it every night at bedtime)
My favorite TV show is: not interested in TV
My favorite food is: Spaghetti
Something I really like: Trucks, Bikes and Boats
Something I don't like: Sleeping in my own bed by myself. (Every night he wakes up and tries to sneak into Jack's room, waking everyone in the process).
My favorite word/phrase is: Uh-oh.

Even with the tears and general exhaustion from school days, I think the school year is off to a great start. We hope this year is a blessing to him and that our little rainbow baby brings the same joy to his teachers and classmates that he has brought to our family.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...