Wednesday, April 07, 2021

Moores Go West: Day 20 (Yosemite Day 2)

Big hike today to the top of Vernal Falls with 1,400 feet of elevation gain. Our boys were troopers and paced ahead of a family of teenage boys (Isaac led all the way to the top). The trail continues on another 8 miles to Half Dome. Most people stop at the bridge but we went all the way to the top. It was one of the hardest hikes I’ve done. Our boys earned their Fanta and Rootbeer for dinner! Loved how encouraging everyone was on the trail. We are in such a beautiful place. It’s been really crowded but doing this trail made the trip worth it. Mileage for today was 7 miles, I think 4 were on this trail to the top of Vernal Falls. 

Yesterday was Day 20 of our trip. We have driven about 4,600 miles and visited 6 National Parks and Monuments. Two nights ago I was able to take the boys swimming at a nearby lodge while Daniel did our laundry. The indoor “heated” pool was pretty chilly. I enjoyed the hot tub though. Before our hike up to Vernal Falls we had planned to ride part of the Valley Loop on our bikes. While we were still in the parking lot Jack blew his front tire. We spent a bit of time trying to find a new tube or patch kit from a bike shop. The kids snagged their Jr Ranger badges but we decided to skip the ride and just do the hike. The kids were disappointed but I think the ride and hard hike probably would have been too much.

Hiking to Vernal Falls and around Yosemite Valley makes our 29th hike of 2021 (29/52). We walked a total of 7 miles. This brings us to 88.5 miles hiked this year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...