Thursday, April 01, 2021

Moores Go West: Day 14 (Redwoods in California)

We spent the morning working on Jr. Ranger books, climbing giant stumps in our campsite and exploring our campground. Now we are off to see more giant trees.  

The boys picked up their third Jr. Ranger badges of the trip today. We hiked through the Stout Grove today. It was awe-inspiring to walk among these giant trees. We sat on some downed trees and ate our lunch in the quiet of the forest. It was an amazing experience. 

After hiking to Stout Grove, we drove down Howland Hill Road — a historic stage coach road. All dirt. Lots of potholes. Mostly one lane. It was a fun, but bumpy ride. 

We couldn’t finish the day without going to the beach! First up was the Crescent Beach Overlook then down to the ocean. Seeing the Pacific Ocean was a first for our boys.

This was our 25th hike in 2021 (25/52). Technically this was three different hikes making up five miles but I'm only counting this as one official hike (one in our campground, one in Stout Grove next to a river and through an amazing forest of gigantic redwood trees, and one next to the Pacific Ocean). This brings us to 75 miles hiked this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...