Saturday, June 01, 2013

Books I Read in May (#11-13)


Picnic at the Iron Curtain by Canadian journalist Susan Viets is a first hand account of Viets' experience living behind the Iron Curtain (in Budapest, Bishkek, Chornobyl and Chechnya) as a journalist during the years of 1988-1998. I really wanted to like this book, but I think I was looking for something more. Her experiences were interesting, to be sure, but I felt like her telling of said experiences left me wanting to know more. I gave the book 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.




Sparkly Green Earrings is a look into motherhood by blogger Melanie Shankle. I thought this book was decent bedtime reading with the typical anecdotes about parenthood, but nothing amazing. I gave the book 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.


I try to read at least a couple of classic books every year and this month I read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. This is probably my third reading and it didn't disappoint. I love all of Jane Austen's books and enjoy thinking about them in context of the time period and culture they were written in. I gave the book 5 out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

I am still reading The Story in conjunction with the congregation I worship with as well as The Explicit Gospel in conjunction with the Life Group we meet with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...