Saturday, August 03, 2013

Biking at Hays Nature Preserve and Playing at the Terrame Natural Playground


Back in May we experienced our return to biking at the Hays Nature Preserve


Since then, Jack and Daniel have been taking weekly bike rides at Goose Pond Colony (while I did my weekly kickboxing class). On occasion, I have been able to join them.


Today we went back to Hays Nature Preserve and explored some new dirt trails in addition to the paved greenways we rode on last time.


One of our trails took us to a Giant Tupelo Swamp. We didn't stay stopped for very long since the mosquitoes were thirsty.


Halfway through our ride, we stopped at the Terrame Natural Playground where we checked out features like teepees, a fort with a climbing wall, a music center and digging pits. 


The playground is made of all natural materials and in 2012, it became the first Arbor Day Foundation certified Nature Explore Classroom in Alabama. 


The temps during today's ride were perfect, and since we were moving most of the time, the humidity didn't really bother us (except for that stop at the playground).


After our time on the trail, we went to Chickfila for lunch. While we ate, we realized that the bottom had fallen out of the sky! I am so glad we weren't still on our bikes. I'm not sure what Jack would have thought about being caught in a rainstorm.


I am really grateful that we were able to spend some time together doing something that we all love. Especially since Daniel will be traveling for work for part of this week.


If you enjoy biking and live in the Hunstville area, we would definitely recommend checking out Hays Nature Preserve for biking (dirt or paved) and running. They also have trails for horseback riding if you happen to have horses. 


Today's ride was just under 9 miles, about a third of which was on dirt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...