Monday, June 02, 2014

Cooking with Pinterest.7

Below are recaps of the new recipes I tried in the last couple of weeks:
 
Hawaiian Chicken and Pineapple Skewers via Where Home Starts
Unfortunately this isn't a real link, so I just went with the concept and made kabobs using chicken, pineapple and red bell peppers, with a BBQ sauce for flavoring.


These kabobs cooked really quickly on the grill. I served them with rice. Jack really enjoyed helping me make the skewers – especially since I let him eat the pineapple while we prepped the kabobs. Jack wouldn't eat the peppers, but seemed to like the rest of it. 

Parent Score 5/5 | Toddler Score 4/5

Fresh Fruit Popcicles via Pinterest
Unfortunately the original link no longer exists, but the idea is a simple one. Fresh fruit + coconut water and freeze. I couldn't find coconut water in my local grocery store, but I did find coconut milk and it was was delicious. I have seen a variation of this recipe that uses lemonade instead of coconut milk/water.

This was super easy to make and Jack loved them.
Parent Score 5/5 | Toddler Score 5/5

20-Minute Chicken Enchilada Bowls via Lauren's Latest
This really was a quick and delicious meal. I was surprised at how quickly it came together. I used butter instead of olive oil to saute my vegetables; and I left out the carrots and added squash and mini orange, red and yellow bell peppers instead. Since I have a toddler I also skipped the chili peppers. I have never made enchiladas before and could not find enchilada sauce at my grocery store, so I used salsa instead. My pan was feeling kind of full so I left the black beans out as well.


In the end, I had a delicious, healthy dish for my family – even if it didn't have all of the same ingredients as the original recipe. Unfortunately Jack was fussy at dinner and wouldn't touch his food, so I have no idea if he would like it or not. Daniel thought it was a bit spicy (I used a medium salsa). I thought it was just right.

Parent Score 4/5 | Toddler Score ?/5

Oatmeal Craisin Cookies via Six Sister's Stuff
This was a super easy recipe to make and it was dee-lish-us! Jack had fun helping me measure out all of the ingredients (as well as eating the raw cookie batter).


The recipe called for 2 cups of craisins, but I only had 1 cup in my pantry, so I also added dark chocolate chips and cut up pecans. You could do any number of combinations and these cookies would be great.


Jack loved eating these cookies as much as he loved helping me make them. I don't think you can go wrong when making sweet things for toddlers. This recipe made 60 cookies.

Parent Score 5/5 | Toddler Score 5/5

The Best BBQ Chicken Kabobs via Fabulously Frugal
This blog claimed they had the best BBQ Chicken Kabobs and they really were amazing. I didn't have the sweet paprika on hand, but they still tasted wonderful. I added portabella mushrooms and cut up zucchini to my kabobs and it was excellent.


We all really enjoyed this meal. The secret ingredient really did give it a nice smoky flavor. I may try this rub again with steak and shrimp or salmon. I think it would taste great with any meat.

Parent Score 5/5 | Toddler Score 5/5

Skinny Cheeseburger Casserole via Skinny Mom
I reduced the recipe by about half and added sauteed zucchini for some extra vegetables. Like the Cheeseburger Zucchini Boats I made a few weeks ago, the pickles really add a nice punch of flavor to this casserole. It would be easy to add in any number of vegetables and this would still be a tasty casserole.


Jack was somewhat ambivalent about this dish, but Daniel and I both liked it, and it made great leftovers.

Parent Score 5/5 | Toddler Score 3/5

Classic American Sandwich Bread via Smells Like Home
I wish I could capture the smell and save it in a bottle. This recipe smells heavenly while it is baking. This is the first time I have successfully made homemade bread. With my Kitchenaid Mixer, it was a breeze.


I liked the simplicity of the ingredient list and the ease of making it – you just need a three hour slot of time, like Sunday afternoon when everyone is napping.


This recipe gets a big thumbs up from my crew. We all loved it. Our first taste was still a little warm from the oven with a pat of real butter. Yum.

Parent Score 5/5 | Toddler Score 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...