Thursday, January 31, 2008

No Time

The past four days have been a whirlwind for me. To be honest I am still reeling from everything working out so beautifully. The only downfall is that I have gone from zero to eighty in an incredibly short period of time and am still trying to transition.

The best way I know to try to give an overview of my current job(s) is to go over a PROS and CONS list of my week.


PROS

1) I can carpool with Daniel (we rode in together twice with his bike attached to the bike so that he could bike home. He rode his bike once both ways and once he drove in separate.

2) I can eat lunch with Daniel downtown because his office is less than 1 mile from mine.
This is especially handy on Mondays and Wednesdays when I teach in the evenings and don't see him until 10 p.m.

3) I have a new Mac with a huge screen and I get to use Leopard and Adobe CS3.
(If you are a Mac user or Designer, you will understand why this is a wonderful thing)

4) I finally have an office.
Actually they are in the middle of building it right now. They literally built the walls around me today and yesterday. I am calling it an office instead of a cubicle b/c it has 10-ft high walls and a door, but it is not much bigger than a cubicle).

5) The colors on the walls make me feel like I am at home.
The wooden parts of my "office" are painted the same color red as my kitchen. One wall of the Creative Area is the same blue as my bedroom. Another wall is the same green as my guest bedroom. And yet another wall is brown - and my hallway and living room walls are different shades of brown!

6) Enventys has a Latino Division to the company and if you want to learn Spanish - there are plenty of people around to teach you.
I think it is awesome that every department seems to have someone who speaks Spanish.

7) I am getting to work on types of projects that I have never worked on before. With the amount of new products coming through our doors, it is an amazing and wonderful place for innovation and I find that incredibly inspiring.


8) I get a consistent paycheck.


9) Hopefully within a week or two I will be able to bike commute to work with Daniel on the days that I don't teach.


10) We play wii at work.
In the center of the Creative Area is a large flatscreen TV. Yesterday, for fun, we took a break for bowling. I actually just watched, but the fact that we all stopped as a group to play is an awesome perk.

CONS

1) I was really worn down after the first day of working 7 hours then driving 30 minutes to Rock Hill, SC to teach 3 night classes at York Community College.

2) By Wednesday night I was pretty much worthless after three 15-hour days in a row.


3) I have no time to wash dishes, clean house or do laundry or anything of that nature.
Thankfully Daniel is picking up some of the slack. It will probably take us a while to learn new routines.

4) I did not have time to grocery shop this week.
Truthfully this affected Daniel the most as Monday and Wednesday I am not here and he had to fend for himself. Again this is something that we will have to work on together.

5) I have not yet figured out a good time to exercise.
Unfortunately this has gone by the wayside this week. I am hoping to get over this exhaustion and start getting up early to work out OR rely on biking with Daniel for my exercise.

6) I came down with a cold Monday night.
This not necessarily because of work, it is just that time of year and I am in a transition period and probably more prone to such things.

I am sure there are other PROS and CONS to my job, but this is just an at-a-glance based on my first four days. I have really been enjoying teaching college. I wasn’t sure what to expect and the preparation really takes a long time, but I love the interaction with my students. I love answering their questions and seeing that my excitement about what I do is contagious.


As for
Enventys, there is so much to learn and see. The company had a total of 9 employees four years ago and now the Creative Department alone has eight employees and two interns. The company as a whole is growing by leaps and bounds.

I love to walk down the halls – it is an incredibly friendly place. Most of the employees are in their twenties. There are public relations people, a sales force, a commercialization group, programmers, web designers, photographers, cinematographers, people that work on the magazine, engineers and probably many, many more that I have yet to learn about. I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to wake up in the morning and look forward to going to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...