Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Cousin Spring Break, 2018


Last year we headed to Florida for part of our spring break, this year my sister and her kids came here for the start of their spring break. My brother came over from Nashville to spend time with us as well.


I hate that we live so far away from the kid's cousins, but I am incredibly grateful for the times during the year that we make the effort to meet up.


Our area of the country had a cold snap during the week family was here (thankfully I warned my sister who lives in Florida to bring appropriate clothes!). The most important thing they brought were their bikes and scooters. The kids spent as much time as possible roaming around the neighborhood and park on two wheels.


When it was too chilly to be outside – it even snowed one morning – we built a fire and enjoyed time together inside.


Jack was excited to have family here for his first soccer game of the season, which thankfully didn't get rained out! 


Most days it warmed up enough to do something fun. One day we visited the Creative Discovery Museum.


And another day we visited the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum to take a ride on a local train. The kids loved every minute!


Even with the snow, we managed to have a picnic outside at the Creative Discovery Museum, and also enjoyed a late brunch outside at the Daily Ration after visiting the Railroad Museum.


The kids had fun shooting each other with nerf guns in our basement, going with my brother for "special time," and playing "Tornado" with their Uncle Mark.


Tornado was invented by Mark when he was a kid – he pretends to be a tornado and destroys whatever room they are playing in (he cleans it up, of course). The game has evolved to include graphic details about tornadoes, a siren warning of the impending storm (sometimes Mark will play soundtracks of storms to add to the drama), taking cover, and uncovering victims from the wreckage and pretending to take them off in ambulances (or body bags!). It is kind of gruesome play, but the kids love it, letting their imaginations run wild!


Of course every night was movie night complete with popcorn, and Daniel and I were able to sneak out one evening for a much-needed date night at Feed Company and The Hot Chocolatier.

As a parent of one still in diapers, this cookie means something different to us 
than what I think they were intending...

We are looking forward to our next gathering as a family – perhaps another camping trip? The kids have been begging to go camping again with their cousins, and all during this visit they really wanted to have a campfire with s'mores. Unfortunately it was too cold for that.


*My next two posts will be about taking our cousins to the Creative Discovery Museum and the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum.

We love to "Spring Break" with our cousins! Previous years:
Caving with Kids (in Florida), 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...