Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Mabbit Springs


This morning Jack and I did our nature hike at Mabbit Springs.


It was 44F and cloudy (but we kept warm while walking and climbing all the rocks in the creek).


We are learning about snails this week but this cold snap meant no snails were to be found on the trail. So we spent our time exploring this little gorge on our mountain.


Jack likes to make his own path (just like his daddy), hopping over rocks to cross the creek as much as possible.


It was a short hike, but we still enjoyed our time together in the woods.


While I often have an agenda of what we are going to learn about each week, I am trying to give freedom to Jack on the trail and I follow his lead instead of getting caught up in what I think we should be doing or learning on Nature Days. 


I also am allowing myself moments of silly. I hope Jack looks back fondly at this time together and thinks about a mom who wasn't too uptight and could do unexpected things.


Notes from this hike:
Location: Mabbit Springs on Signal Mountain, TN
Date: March 27, 2018
Time: 9:30-10:30
Weather: 44F and overcast
 Observations: It was too cold for snails. 
Jack: "I like to make my own path. I like taking the hardest way." (We climbed up the creek gorge on our way out).

 
Check back on Tuesdays to see where our nature studies have taken us...
Previous Nature Hikes with Jack: 
October: Reflection Riding Center (Monday Nature Day with friends) ⎮ Joyce Kilmer Wilderness Among Trees (hike we did as a family) ⎮ Greenway Farms Nature Day (family archery lesson and hike)
November: Glen FallsMushroom Rock (with Mommy and Daddy) ⎮ Raccoon Mountain
December: The BouldersToccoa River (family hike)⎮ Amnicalola Falls (family hike)
January: Green GorgeRainbow Lake
February: Stringers RidgeGreen GorgeMushroom RockFamily Hike to Mushroom Rock ⎮ Family Hike to Possum CreekGreenway Farms 
March: Creative Writing Exercise (Mushroom Rock) ⎮Vernal Equinox (Green Gorge)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...