Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Vernal Equinox Hike: Green Gorge


It’s Tuesday which means Nature Day! 


It’s also the first day of spring and Jack and I were learning about toads and frogs and the Vernal Equinox (which I actually knew about thanks to Nature Cat on PBS!). 


We had a big rain last night so the creek at Green Gorge was really flowing. It’s amazing how different a trail can look as the seasons change. 


This is one of my favorite short hikes. 


I love the silence of walking next to the quiet creek during the winter, and the roar of the creek and the way the water sings as it makes its way over different configurations of rocks in the spring.




Watching the seasons change during the year on this trail, and some of our other regular trails, has really made me appreciate nature even more.



I guess I have always felt pretty tuned in to nature, but taking time to purposefully watch the natural world change every single week has really made me even more aware of the world around me.


Notes from this hike:
Location: Green Gorge on Signal Mountain, TN
Date: March 20, 2018
Time: 9:30-10:30
Weather: 50F and overcast

Observations: "Frogs don't have poison behind their eyes!" – Jack

--------------------------------------------
 
Check back on Tuesdays to see where our nature studies have taken us...
Previous Nature Hikes with Jack: 
October: Reflection Riding Center (Monday Nature Day with friends) ⎮ Joyce Kilmer Wilderness Among Trees (hike we did as a family) ⎮ Greenway Farms Nature Day (family archery lesson and hike)
November: Glen FallsMushroom Rock (with Mommy and Daddy) ⎮ Raccoon Mountain
December: The BouldersToccoa River (family hike)⎮ Amnicalola Falls (family hike)
January: Green GorgeRainbow Lake
February: Stringers RidgeGreen GorgeMushroom RockFamily Hike to Mushroom Rock ⎮ Family Hike to Possum CreekGreenway Farms 
March: Creative Writing Exercise (Mushroom Rock)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...