Saturday, August 17, 2019

Canada Bound: Grayson Highlands

Setting up camp and the camp host came by to say a bear was in the campground earlier today. There has been one additional sighting, but we need to be bear aware in case it’s still around. About to cook supper, I hope the bear doesn’t like grilled chicken 🤣 

We tried to go to a ranger talk on the night sky. We were the only ones to arrive and then discovered it got cancelled. Maybe it was too cloudy? Maybe the bear scared everyone off? It was too late for a fire so we hung out in our hammocks for a bit and then consoled ourselves with hot chocolate.

Morning coffee at Grayson Highlands. It was cool enough to sleep with the windows open last night. I’m kind of dreading getting back to the heat in Tennessee on Saturday. Maybe the heat wave will be over before we get home. Adventures are waiting for us today and tomorrow. 

Last night at camp. I grilled bacon and made scrambled eggs with grilled pita for our final dinner on the road. We watched the sunset and the kids helped Daniel build a fire to finish our evening. We haven’t had television in three weeks (except for a couple of days of Netflix with family), but nobody missed it. The kids don’t even bug us anymore to watch movies in the car (we still let them some), but they prefer books, napping or the scenery. I don’t know what kind of trip we will do next year. Where it will be, how long it will be. But I know that these weeks together without distractions make us a better family.

Trip Stats:

Campground: Grayson Highlands State Park in Virginia

Highlights: Hearing about a bear sighting, Hiking, Biking the Virginia Creeper

Days on the Road: 20-23

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...