Saturday, August 03, 2019

Canada Bound: Tobermory

Yesterday we took a boat excursion to Flower Pot Island in Fathom Five National Marine Park in Tobermory, Ontario. The boat was glass bottom and took us to see two submerged shipwrecks before dropping us on Flower Pot Island for the afternoon. We hiked the loop trail to the lighthouse keeper’s cottage, saw the lighthouse and then swam in freezing Lake Huron. Actually Jack and Daniel were the only ones to go under completely. It was frigid! The boys loved the boat ride best.

Our original plan had been to visit The Grotto today, but we didn’t get a parking pass ahead of time and it is peak season. So we decided to do the Halfway Log Dump Hike instead. This was a lot of bouldering and wading in the frigid Georgian Bay on Lake Huron. It was gorgeous, and a fun way to spend the afternoon. As we came out of the woods and saw the lake for the first time, I heard a buzzing in the woods. I told everyone to stop and an Ontario rattle snake crossed the path between where Isaac and I were and where Jack and Daniels were 😬 That was my first time to see a rattlesnake in the wild. On our return, we were talking with a ranger who told us we had almost made it to the Cave Point and it was another hour on the Bruce Trail to access the Grotto without the sacred parking pass. However, she said this time of year it’s overly crowded and we might not have enjoyed it. We did enjoy the Halfway Log Dump Hike and have some more ideas of things we want to do if we ever come up here again. This area is so beautiful and we have all loved or time here. 

Enjoying my morning coffee and 70 degree temps during breakfast. We are breaking up camp and going on to my aunt and uncles for tonight. Looking forward to seeing some of my extended family at our reunion this weekend. 

While we were at our campground at Tobermory Village, the kids convinced us to rent the pedal go carts for an hour. We started with the two seater, but Isaac wasn’t really big enough to pedal. So we traded for the four seater and Daniel and I pedaled the kids all over the campground. There were several big hills and we all had a great time. It was $20 well spent. 

Trip Stats:

Campground: Tobermory Village

Highlights: Flower Pot Island in Fathoms Five National Marine Park, Halfway Log Dump Hike

Days on the Road: 5-8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...